Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any good MMF2 tutorials for 3D?

No Products Registered

Any good MMF2 tutorials for 3D?

I've been Googling and searching for YouTube, but can't find anything. I really need good tutorials on how to get my maincharacter in 3D with 3D Actives/Mesh/or whatever works best.

I'm not good at MMF2, but I'm learning. I had Klik N' Play AGES ago.

Thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer Android Export Module HTML5 Export Module SWF Export Module 

I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Blog Entries
    Do you mean that you want to have your character be a 3D model? Or do you want your game to be a 3D game?

If you're aiming for the use of actual 3D models and 3D textures, I would give up right now. I've tried it on several occasions, successful, but MMF2 is too weak to support 3D at the moment, and I don't see it ever becoming powerful enough to do so. Even if you did manage 3D like I did, you would just have an unplayable game drowning in lag. If you're going for 'fake' 3D or Raycasting (something like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Ts0q3e9N4) you should try the Raycasting Object (which there are no tutorials on practically anywhere) but know that MMF2 is so weak it can barely handle that unless you make the window size microscopic.

Before diving into 3D, I would brace for impact on the harsh reality that MMF2 isn't a very good program in terms of being powerful. Actually, it's awful. I would stick to 2D if I were you, buddy. Nice to see somebody else interested, anyhow.

-Deuces
    That's my main.

Agreed ^ Give it up now. It's not going to happen. I've also exhausted every possible method for having "3D actives" and it just won't work.

Every time I thought I had a solution, some huge issue would pop up and cause that solution to be worthless. For example, the closest solution I found was using 3D Mesh, but it's not HWA supported so it kills performance... plus every time you draw a 3D object in MMF, it has to be in the same "layer" as the others, or you need a new 3D object (which is again, super performance draining)

All I wanted to do was have a dozen 3D characters interacting in my 2D environment... but that would require at least a dozen separate 3D objects each drawing their own 3D "window"... without HWA support. It brought the framerate into "stop motion animation" territory. So basically... Think of another solution if you want 3D characters in your 2D game.

The only other solution that is feasible is to render out the 3D character to 2D animation... but if you're actually wanting the benefit of 3D in your game (ie: lots of frames/directions) then that is probably out of the question as well.

edit: I'm kind of bitter because I was working on a great game and had to kill production on it entirely because of this limitation with MMF... you can see what the game is like here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynEi5yS-cq8

Essentially I wanted the characters to be actual 3D models (in the video they are 2D renders but the amount of animation frames/layers was monstrous and couldn't work as 2D) but MMF just can't do it.

Forget it. Someone will probably come along and tell you to try the raycaster or openGL extensions or whatever else - but trust me, you'll be wasting your time if you do. 3D and MMF2 simply do not mix.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer Android Export Module HTML5 Export Module SWF Export Module 

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyMole View Post
    Forget it. Someone will probably come along and tell you to try the raycaster or openGL extensions or whatever else - but trust me, you'll be wasting your time if you do. 3D and MMF2 simply do not mix.
    Until Irrlicht (actually, it's called HinkyPunk now, but whatever) gets finished/announced, if it gets announced (at ClickConvention).

No Products Registered

Thanks for the answers guys. Do you know any site with basic tutorials for RayCasting or OpenGL, or whatever works best with having enemies looks good in Mode 7ex.
    I'm basically a real beginner with MMF2 (had Klik N' Play like 15 years ago), I've made a working terrain with Mode 7ex, with a spaceship floating around. Gives a look like the snes-game F-Zero.

But I can't get it to work with enemies, I saw a few tutorials on Youtube but can't get it to work, and I don't like the look of it so I haven't really get it much time.

What I really need is something to work with Mode 7ex.

What I actully need is Mode 7ex OR Ra

Blog Entries
    I advise you start with 2D games, and then, once you can make something close to as good as this (clones of it (or any other games made by Nifflas) don't count), then try 3D. At that point, it should be a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by happygreenfrog View Post
    Until Irrlicht (actually, it's called HinkyPunk now, but whatever) gets finished/announced, if it gets announced (at ClickConvention).
    Not sure if that was sarcasm, but this is *exactly* what I was talking about. Someone always comes along promising a great new way to do 3D in MMF2 (be it "Stonegoose" or OpenGL or an engine actually coded in MMF2 or whatever), but they're never any good, and frequently never even see the light of day.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyMole View Post
    Not sure if that was sarcasm, but this is *exactly* what I was talking about. Someone always comes along promising a great new way to do 3D in MMF2 (be it "Stonegoose" or OpenGL or an engine actually coded in MMF2 or whatever), but they're never any good, and frequently never even see the light of day.
    I wasn't being sarcastic. It's made by Clickteam, ya know, so it will almost certainly be made better than any other 3D objects, as Clickteam knows MMF2's code (and probably its extension SDK's code) better than anyone else. If I remember correctly, Clickteam implied on their Facebook page that it would be multiplatform, which would make it the first multiplatform 3D object available for MMF2.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast