Guide to installing Extensions

Welcome to our brand new Clickteam Community Hub! We hope you will enjoy using the new features, which we will be further expanding in the coming months.

A few features including Passport are unavailable initially whilst we monitor stability of the new platform, we hope to bring these online very soon. Small issues will crop up following the import from our old system, including some message formatting, translation accuracy and other things.

Thank you for your patience whilst we've worked on this and we look forward to more exciting community developments soon!

Clickteam.
  • This is primarily aimed at new users to Multimedia Fusion 2 and Fusion 2.5. I have seen a few people ask how to go about this in the past few days, so I figured I'd make a quick install guide.

Installing Extensions (added functionality) for Multimedia Fusion 2 (MMF2) or Fusion 2.5 is simple! Both processes are relatively the same, except the first one which was introduced with Fusion 2.5.

The easiest way to install Extensions in Fusion 2.5 can be seen below.

Please login to see this picture.

If the extension you need isn't listed in the Extensions Manager, then you can try using a third-party program called ExtensionView. It was created by user Jaffob and is a large database collection of Extensions in an easy to use program. Check out the thread here - Please login to see this link.

To install Extensions downloaded using ExtensionView with Fusion 2.5 please follow the steps described in the images below.

If the Extension you have downloaded is contained within a zip file, please follow these steps.

Open MMF2 or Fusion 2.5 and insert a new object, you should see your newly installed Extension in the list of available objects! If it doesn't appear, try pressing the Refresh button on the right hand side.

If you have any further questions, please ask away!

• So why the elaborate download manager? Wouldn't it be easier to install directly to the proper folder instead of having extensionview?

Please login to see this link.
    Check out Doubleteam's blog for Zelda fangame stuff!

• No I don't mean that. I mean it downloads the extension to a folder, then you have to manually go to that folder and unzip the extension and then put it in the 2.5 folder, manually. It would be easier if ExtensionView got the list from a Clickteam server and installed the extensions straight to the 2.5 directory. Less hassle.

Check out Doubleteam's blog for Zelda fangame stuff!

• ExtensionView wasn't made by Clickteam, and the original developer seems to have vanished, so it can't be updated to get the list from an official source. The official extension list/extension manager is in Fusion 2.5, though it hasn't exactly been finished yet (the list, not the manager (the manager is finished as far as I know)). Also, ExtensionView is stubborn about not counting Fusion 2.5 as a valid copy of MMF2, meaning it can't install it in the install directory for Fusion 2.5, even though it is a valid installation. It can install them straight to the install directory for MMF2, though. Just not Fusion 2.5, since it doesn't think Fusion 2.5 is a valid version of MMF2 for whatever reason. As a result, it is only for the extensions that haven't yet been added to the official list of extensions. Also, ExtensionView doesn't always have a valid download link, either, meaning that you can't download every object out there using it (sometimes you will just have to look for it), and, since, as I have already stated, the developer of ExtensionView seems to have vanished, it probably won't get updated to get the valid download links.

My Please login to see this link. (which I actually use), my Please login to see this link. (which I mostly don't use), and my Please login to see this link. (which I don't use anymore pretty much at all really). If there are awards for "'highest number of long forum posts", then I'd have probably won at least 1 by now. XD

• Yeah, ExtensionView doesn't know what Fusion 2.5 is and can't do the usual automatic install after download because it looks for a MMF2 directory (which is why I tell you to untick the box and do it from the download directory manually.)

• I have few questions about extensions (i am new to MMF2). I would be grateful for any answers.

first of all - screenshots provided are only relevant to MMF2.5, right? Because i don't have that "manager" button in my MMF2.

How do they work? (from technical point of view - i understand code)

Do I need to worry about decrease in performance, because MMF would not optimize properly extension objects ?

Will they always work with exporters? if no, how do i know? (i am particularly interested in flash exporter) ?

Anything else i should know?

Again, many thanks for any answers

• This guide was wrote for Fusion 2.5. The extension manager is for Fusion 2.5.

Extensions are wrote with C++ using a special SDK, and, from what I understand, are basically specially-coded DLL files, though they are named MFX files to differentiate between them.

Optimized code is up to the extension developers, not MMF2. Some extensions even help you to improve performance, such as the ForEach object (which is pretty much a must-have).

They won't always work with exporters. There are several reasons for this:

1. The extension was originally wrote before said exporters existed, and the original developer is no longer around, and nobody other than the original developer had the source code.
    2. The extension just plain can't be ported to some platforms. For example, the Direct Show objects can't possibly be ported to anything other than Windows, as Direct Show is a Windows-specific library.
    3. The original extension developer doesn't know the correct programming language to port the object to a runtime, or they don't have a device needed to port it to the runtime in question (E.G. they don't have an iDevice, so they can't port it to the iOS runtime), and they don't want to release the source code, or nobody else is interested in porting the object when the source code has been released.

There are probably more reasons they don't get ported, but those should give you an idea on why they can't/don't always get ported.

As for anything else you should know about them, well...

Extensions can allow MMF2 to do things that aren't possible otherwise. For example, the OpenGL objects allow for people to make 3D games in MMF2, though it is quite difficult to get anything good done with them. There are also extensions that are simply for convenience purposes, though there are only so many extensions like that.

As I'm not an extension developer, I may have missed a few things, but this should help give you the general idea of them.

My Please login to see this link. (which I actually use), my Please login to see this link. (which I mostly don't use), and my Please login to see this link. (which I don't use anymore pretty much at all really). If there are awards for "'highest number of long forum posts", then I'd have probably won at least 1 by now. XD

• Does this work if I bought my Fusion 2.5 copy on STEAM?

I can't seem to find the directory of the installed application when bought on Steam. Does someone know where this is, or where can I find it? It's not on Program Files :(

Big thanks!!

Little Nando / Please login to see this link. / Please login to see this link.

• Are you using a 64-bit machine? If so, it may be in "Program Files (x86)" instead of just "Program Files". If it's not there either, or you aren't using a 64-bit version of Windows, then it's probably located in a sub-folder of the folder that Steam is installed in.

• Thanks for replying so promptly!
    Yes, I checked both in Program Files and Program Files (x86() and that... it's not there.

I'm not at home now (I'm on another computer) but I've seen that Steam stores files elsewhere. I'll check it later tonight. Here's some links to info on this to whomever is having the same issue:

IN STEAM" Right click the game in your Steam list, properties, local files tab, Browse Local files."

Little Nando / Please login to see this link. / Please login to see this link.

• Does this work if I bought my Fusion 2.5 copy on STEAM?

I can't seem to find the directory of the installed application when bought on Steam. Does someone know where this is, or where can I find it? It's not on Program Files :(

Big thanks!!

Fusion 2.5, installed via Steam, is in this folder:

Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Clickteam Fusion 2.5

Please login to see this link. | Please login to see this link.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!