Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P3D is slow running

Unhappy P3D is slow running

Is there anyway to speed it up pls? or is my £200 laptop too slow?

I'm a little bit peed off as I just spend £10 on it, is firefly much better?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Blog Entries
    £200 laptop?

Quick question: What things can it run?

And what are its specifications?

Because I'd be a bit surprised if that computer can run 3D games very well in general, and I have to wonder if it'd have issues running 2D games as well...
    My website. If there are awards for "'highest number of long forum posts' poster of the year", then I should have probably won at least 1 by now.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

classic

the laptop does have a AMD E1, E stands for idiot then I guess lol

sorry I didn't reply back sooner

its a AMD Duel Core E1 (1.5Ghz)
    AMD Radeon R2 Graphics
    4GB DDR3 L Memory

it runs MMF2 and I was just looking to make a Mario Kart game, not anything with lots of 3D objects, I assumed by now a £200 laptop should be capable of using P3D as a mode 7 maker. I haven't bothered trying any games that use 3D as the modern ones wouldn't run but have tried N64 emulator and that runs fine.
    Last edited by Daniels1980; 27th January 2017 at 10:14 PM.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Blog Entries
    Out of curiosity: What examples are you using to test performance? Are you using the built-in ones, or are you trying to make your own thing and running into issues?

Also, does Quadratic Attack 3D run well at all? It's an as-of-now freeware game I made using P3D, with some settings you can mess around with to try to get a decent framerate if it doesn't work at first: http://gamejolt.com/games/quadratic-attack-3d/118422

</shameless plug>

If you can get it running at a decent framerate, let me know what settings you used, and I can see about maybe being able to give you recommendations for getting better performance. As someone who beta-tested the engine, I've learned a few tricks here and there to get the most out of P3D's performance limits.
    My website. If there are awards for "'highest number of long forum posts' poster of the year", then I should have probably won at least 1 by now.

Adding to the valuable suggestions above,
    there's a page in the instructions manual dedicated to "speed optimization",
    you can check it out for some tips.

If you want to do a mario-kart like game with not that many 3D objects hanging around,
    I think you can get a decent result by lowering framerate,
    i.e. try this version of the "monster kart" example with lowered framerate and disabled Y rotations:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/778j9d2co1...30fps.zip?dl=0

(if you lower framerate, you also have to raise objects "speed/acceleration/rotation speed" to keep it consistent)

Does it run a little better on your machine?
    Does the counter on top left goes well below 30 and very frequently?
    After you've ran the whole first lap things should improve also.
    And building a game will get better results than testing it inside CTF.

Unfortunately P3D can't fully take advantage of modern day 3D acceleration,
    to fit within the environment it uses a technology (pixel shaders) that is not the usual way 3D is made,
    newer graphic cards are more optimized for other kind of tricks,
    so it's likely you won't take great advantage from graphic acceleration either.

happy green frog I was using the built in examples, the first one with the frog and monsters, with a few cubes and some grass texture, it was slow, I didn't add anything, the racing built in example was like a slide show just trying to play it

I try your freeware shameless plug demo lol and get back to you, thanks so much for the free help
    Last edited by Daniels1980; 30th January 2017 at 02:52 AM.

thanks for the information and download schrodinger I try it and get back to you, thanks so much for the free help
    Last edited by Daniels1980; 30th January 2017 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by happygreenfrog View Post
    Out of curiosity: What examples are you using to test performance? Are you using the built-in ones, or are you trying to make your own thing and running into issues?

Also, does Quadratic Attack 3D run well at all? It's an as-of-now freeware game I made using P3D, with some settings you can mess around with to try to get a decent framerate if it doesn't work at first: http://gamejolt.com/games/quadratic-attack-3d/118422

</shameless plug>

If you can get it running at a decent framerate, let me know what settings you used, and I can see about maybe being able to give you recommendations for getting better performance. As someone who beta-tested the engine, I've learned a few tricks here and there to get the most out of P3D's performance limits.
    Even on lowest setting its still too slow.
    However I liked the game, your graphic style is really cool and the control set up with mouse, means there's no fixed camera issues.
    Thanks so much for all the help but I guess at some point I just need to invest in a new PC
    Last edited by Daniels1980; 30th January 2017 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schrodinger View Post
    Adding to the valuable suggestions above,
    there's a page in the instructions manual dedicated to "speed optimization",
    you can check it out for some tips.

If you want to do a mario-kart like game with not that many 3D objects hanging around,
    I think you can get a decent result by lowering framerate,
    i.e. try this version of the "monster kart" example with lowered framerate and disabled Y rotations:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/778j9d2co1...30fps.zip?dl=0

(if you lower framerate, you also have to raise objects "speed/acceleration/rotation speed" to keep it consistent)

Does it run a little better on your machine?
    Does the counter on top left goes well below 30 and very frequently?
    After you've ran the whole first lap things should improve also.
    And building a game will get better results than testing it inside CTF.

Unfortunately P3D can't fully take advantage of modern day 3D acceleration,
    to fit within the environment it uses a technology (pixel shaders) that is not the usual way 3D is made,
    newer graphic cards are more optimized for other kind of tricks,
    so it's likely you won't take great advantage from graphic acceleration either.
    Its running about 10 fps to 20fps, at its best, only if I leave the track does it hit 30 lol
    maybe I will just have to invest at some point in a new computer, thanks so much for your help, and explaining pixel shaders, I didn't know that so was bemused how an N64 emulator can run on my PC but not P3D
    Last edited by Daniels1980; 30th January 2017 at 03:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast