User Tag List

Thread: MP3 license fees for using in Games ?

Clicker Fusion 2.5HTML5 Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MP3 license fees for using in Games ?

Hello everyone

I am interested in knowing if developers have to pay a license fee ( searched for " mp3 royality rates " on G. ) when using mp3 files inside the game ? There is a strange website where they want 2500 bucks for a game ? Is this true or a hoax ? I know this is not a lawyer forum but i do not want running into trouble. If that would be true what to do ? Only using ogg ? And if yes how ? And what about the .wav format ?

Thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use ogg and wav.

I converted all my sounds and music to ogg in Audacity, easy and no worries in the future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the response. When uploading the build to my server i saw automatic generated mp3, ogg and wav audio files. The original audio format i used was mp3. So when i convert mp3 to ogg first and use this format in the game what is then the output ? Do i need to change something in the software ? Any problems with any OS or browser without mp3 ?

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the HTML5 games on the server, you could try to delete/remove those mp3 files and see if the game plays.
    I think OGG is a standard web format, with the WAV of course, but WAV is HUUGE

Maybe other people can chime in on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try it but there is still the 9999.mp3 file from Fusion as i have read in the forum somewhere. Before making mistakes it is always good to know what is it for .... :-)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also interested, is there some legal issue with this 9999.mp3 file? And if the file is required by the runetime for some reason why not just add 9999.ogg, 9999.m4a or 9999.wav? What exactly does happen when i remove this mp3 file?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if i have the correct info but i think 9999.mp3 is just silence and needed /used for html5 in order to play sound on some devices. :-)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes i know that Klownzilla, but mp3 is a patented audio format, my question is how is the license handled on this mp3 file?! I certainly missed something because i can't imagine Clickteam let's everybody pay $2500 per project just to use an empty mp3 file!!!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not a lawyer, but on the HTML runtime you are just distributing the mp3 file itself, it's the browser that's actually playing it. Chrome, Firefox, IE and Safari all DO have the necessary licensing to support mp3 playback, so I believe you are covered.