User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are 'fast groups' still a thing?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Are 'fast groups' still a thing?

Hello and long time no see!

Just popping by to ask if 'fast groups' instead of regular fast loops are still beneficial for speed?
    I have a vague memory of someone(perhaps Yves?) indicating that fastloops would be optimized in CTF2.5 but I can't seem to find the post.
    Cheers!
    //EE

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hey EE - Long time!

Not sure what you mean by Fast Groups (maybe that term slipped my mind from years ago) however, a good practice was, as you will probably know would be to group fastloops into a closed group and call when needed. Typically:

[Closed Group]
    Only one action when event loops: Run Fastloop ("Test")
    On Loop ("Test"): Do this
    Only one action when event loops: Close Group.

With regards to fastloops and optimisations, Yves did some super powerful work with both Fastloops and the new Built-in ForEach loops. Fastloops were heavily optimised and ForEach was integrated as part of the main loop. I can't find the post either but it's def. around somewhere and there is also a thread where someone actually tested the differences between MMF2 and CTF 2.5 to the nth degree.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before, Fusion would read through all onLoop conditions unless they were in a deactivated group. As far as I can recall, this is no longer the case, making it unnecessary to keep onLoop conditions in deactivated groups.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's correct Popcorn, Yves made these optimisations. I still use fastloop groups primarily now just for keeping Events "tidy".

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I read somewhere that the "new system" works until you have an evaluated loop name then it swaps back to the slower fastloop system. So as long as your loop names aren't made of calculations like "loop_id_"+str$(Global Value A) you should be fine without having to group manage them.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried the ForEach about 2 or 3 times ever and though it's supposed to be way easier I never got it to work correctly. I'm sure this is programmer error (me, hah)
    I use regular old Fastloops because it's the only thing I can SORT OF get a handle on eventually.

Oh I do miss the old ways sometimes, ancient as they be:

10 For X = 1 to 50
    20 Print "I MISS YE OLDE DAYS ON OCCASION!"
    30 Next X

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Del_Duio, I don't think ForEach loops were supposed to be easier than fastloops. Rather, they're supposed to be far more efficient than using fastloops to loop through objects (and by far more efficient, I mean it could literally be the difference between 10 frames per second and 120 frames per second once you reach a high enough object count). They are only to be used for looping through objects, however, and aren't really supposed to be used to replace fastloops in other regards, which may be what was causing you to have a hard time using them if you were trying to use them to replace all of your fastloops. That being said, using the old fastloop method for selecting objects is incredibly unoptimized and will make your computer cry as it tries to keep up once you reach a high enough number of objects (I'd say 100-500 objects would probably be a good guess as to when it's near-guaranteed to have issues).

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Danny - Thanks! Been primarily focused on C++ and OpenGL for the last 2 years, so I've been kind of MIA from the forums. ^^
    And yes, fastloop groups are the aforementioned 'fastgroups'(primarily named thus because we were to lazy to write it out properly at TDC).
    So I recalled correctly about the optimizations then, great! Interesting part about evaluated loopnames switching to the old system, I should check that out.

And Del Duio! How great it is to bump into you, makes me feel old and happy!
    You should really study up on forEach loops, they're incredibly potent! The combination forEach + qualifiers + fastloops makes for amazing stability and modularity(is that even a word)!
    Check out Danny's tutorial on fast- and forEach loops, it's a great introduction.

And when we're on the subject, how does the "for each of two objects" loop work? I haven't really seen anyone talking about it.
    Cheers!
    //EE

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Check out Danny's tutorial on fast- and forEach loops, it's a great introduction.
    Much appreciated

And when we're on the subject, how does the "for each of two objects" loop work? I haven't really seen anyone talking about it.
    This is a great feature. It basically brings two objects into the bigger scope, you can then scope down further with additional conditions (as you normally would in Fusion). You can really narrow the pool down so you can basically scope out the correct objects almost immediately. I use it quite a bit, maybe I should do a tutorial on that as I feel it could really help people out.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always assumed that counted every other object.... but you mean that you can loop through two different objects?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast