Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Bug with array object : array indexes change

Hello everyone,

I think I have discovered a faulty behavior in the array object (0-based text array). So, I was working on a rather complicated loop : some kind of breadth-first algorithm, which requires to compare the content of the 4 adjacent cells (x+1;y, x;y-1, x-1;y, x;y+1) from a particular one. I was using the "array indexes" (x and y in my case) to store the current position from which I compared adjacent ones. It wasn't working and it gave me headaches for hours. I tried "printing" everything I could in a list to review some values during the process and then the answer came to me : the array indexes were changing! (without being given the instruction).

I used some comparisons like this :
    StrAtXYZ( "Array", index x( "Array" ) + 1, index y( "Array" ), 0 )
    StrAtXYZ( "Array", index x( "Array" ) , index y( "Array" ) - 1, 0 )
    StrAtXYZ( "Array", index x( "Array" ) - 1, index y( "Array" ), 0 )
    StrAtXYZ( "Array", index x( "Array" ), index y( "Array" ) + 1, 0 )

and some expressions like this :
    List : add line Str$(index x( "Array" ) + 1) + ";" + Str$(index y( "Array" ))
    List : add line Str$(index x( "Array" ) ) + ";" + Str$(index y( "Array" ) - 1)
    List : add line Str$(index x( "Array" ) - 1) + ";" + Str$(index y( "Array" ))
    List : add line Str$(index x( "Array" ) ) + ";" + Str$(index y( "Array" ) + 1)

And somehow, refering to the "index - 1" or "index + 1" seemed to make it change by that amount, but not always. You'll tell me that the array indexes are meant to be used with "write to current position", which is true, but in that case I found it pretty convenient to use them that way. I'm doing a lot of work with arrays (procedural map generation) and I'm starting to wonder if I can trust this object.

So my solution was to just use some alterable values from an object to store current X and Y instead of the indexes and everything suddenly became fine!

So my questions are : is this behavior intended? (well, I don't think so obviously, but still...). Is it a known bug? Have you ever encountered it? If not, I could share a .mfa, but I don't want to share my whole project and isolating the problem would take some time, I'm not sure I want to do that if it's not of any help to anyone.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had some weird happenings with array objects before but not this one in particular.
    The strangest by far was when two array object swapped values somehow haha.

Also I believe the array sometimes isn't written to "fast enough" and the program can continue on down the line before the write to events are finished. I'm not 100% on that one but I think I've seen some people mention it before here.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh well, it's not really reassuring that such a basic object is glitched. I hope I won't experience any of this in a finished game!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I woudln't say it's glitched,
    it's a basic feature of the object, when you change the position of the index (writing a value, setting index position)
    the index position will ... change

but yeah something like loading a file is a disk operation and could be not fast enough
    if you need to perform something dependent on that data loaded it's better wating a bit (some frames is enough, if it's not humungous ) to be sure

For indices I do exactly the same as you, by using values, this gives a greater "control" but overall depends on what you need to do

Other than that, array object is very solid, I've never encountered "consistency" issues, I think you can trust them quite enough!

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing is that I wasn't writing to the array nor setting the index position to anything. The mere fact of storing a coordinate "index +something" somewhere else and/or reading a position in the array in a condition ("string at index x+something") made the index change. I think it's a strange feature that the index changes then, isn't it? I'm not sure, but I don't think it happens with number arrays somehow.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sorry, I misread your first post, you're totally right, just reading shouldn't change index position, I thought you were writing

would be interesting reproducing the issue, I've just tried and been unable to,
    if you are able to reproduce it in some test mfa perhaps we can exclude there's something odd happening in your project

but of course if you've solved and there's no interest in investigating more feel free to dismiss this