User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fog of war? Examples?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fog of war? Examples?

Hey guys,

So I'm wanting to add a Fog of War effect into my game. I've seen the basic versions out there - using actives and transparent windows etc, but none I've seen can handle multiple, separate instances of light areas, at least, not on a grid. So for example let's say I've got my Player who reveals fog in an area around him, and off in the distance there's a torch that also lights the area, but between the two objects there is no light, so it therefore remains shrouded. How can I achieve this?

I've never dabbled with frame effects before, nor played with any of the HWA stuff as everything I've done previous has been pretty basic. Any pointers or examples would be fabulous. Be gentle.

Thanks guys!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clicker Fusion 2.5iOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an example I made:

Fog of War Test.mfa

Hope it helps.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This really great and authentic. If I may. What code would a forum member add to keep the white areas after moving the mouse?

Thanks,
    Marv
    ​455 MMF2 & CTF 2.5 Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5iOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can easily and a single condition that checks if the alpha level of the "fog" active is >= 255 and then destroy or trigger some flag that keeps the alpha level at 255. Also thanks Marv for your library of examples! They have really been a guide for me throughout all my projects.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you lootercuster I am humble at your feet. Glad the example site helped you and thanks for the tip.

Marv

Clicker

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried your suggestion for an hour. Maybe not so simple for me. Sorry to be so dense. Can you do the "simple" code?

Thanks,
    Marv

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go Marv

Fog of War Test 2.mfa

Clicker

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am grateful and appreciate you for this file.

Marv

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys, really appreciate the example(s). I've done something similar with a tiled 'veil' so to speak before, but with transparency effects - the alpha channel stuff seems less intensive on the cpu and just looks better, which is great.

I'm trying to go full circular though, which means increasing the fog object count and using smaller fog actives to increase fog 'pixel' count. Hex based also hides the edges more - love how your blend effect smooths the edges out to disguise the methods in the examples, though, very nice indeed.

Very helpful, thanks all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast