User Tag List

Thread: 2D Platformer - The Amazing Adventure

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking [WIP] 2D Platformer - The Amazing Adventure

I'm working on this game called The Amazing Adventure. Originally my brother was doing the programming in Unity, but unfortunately he does not have the time. I therefore decided to give it a go myself, using Fusion 2.5. So programming, graphics, animations and music are all done by me.

You can download and try my little engine right here: http://theamazingadventure.net/TheAmazingAdventure.zip

Shift = jump
    Ctrl = slash (you just can hit anything yet)

What do think so far?

I know there are bugs here and there, but it's very early in the process. I have not animated wall climbing yet, so there is just a placeholder for that. Also in the the game you wont be jumping on platforms looking like the ones i the engine above, but run around on graphics looking like the screenshots below.

Thank you for taking the time to have look at The Amazing Adventure :-D

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love these graphics!!

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Very smooth so far, well done, keep it up!

Clickteam on Twitter - Clickteam on Facebook

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @zip2kx Thank you! I spent a lot of time designing the art style for this game, I am glad you like it.

@Kisguri I will do my best :-)

Any ideas on how to deal with standing on the edge of a platform. Right now you can stand free floating in mid air, due to the size of the collider box I use for collision detecting. Making the collider box smaller, makes it too hard to time jumps. How does other 2D platform games do it, change the collider box position or size when standing on a platform or even more detectors?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a probably an advance way to do this but i would have a bottom detector that's smaller and use that for detection

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks lovely, main character is very nice and has quite smooth animations.

Also particularly like that third graphic you posted above, which reminds me of Empire Strikes Back / Hoth planet

Makes mind wander

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with everyone else on the graphics, they look pretty good!

As for the platform issue, the way the Sonic games handle it is simple: They simply change the animation to make the character look like they're off-balance somewhat, to make it look okay without hindering the ability to perform jumps that require jumping from one platform edge to another, which looks like this:

However, lots of platformers, such as Mario and Mega Man, don't bother with that, allowing for things like this:

Oh, and the Mega Man games sometimes require players to hang over the edge of platforms like this, FYI.

Of course, most platformers don't have to worry about a 4-legged character, so I don't know the best course of action for this scenario, but worst comes to worst, it's not unheard-of for platformers to just ignore the issue entirely.

Also of note is that the Sonic games don't immediately play that animation when players are on ledges, so you can still end up with things like this:

Which, admittedly, is better than the Mega Man example, but not by much.

EDIT:

Another option might be to move the hitbox (rather than make it smaller) so that the player's back two legs are always visibly on a platform, which might be the simplest option.

Here's an edit I made in GIMP to try to demonstrate the idea:

Of course, you'd have to fiddle around with it, and I don't think the exact hitbox I'm proposing would work well, but it'd probably be a step in the right direction.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pair of sensors separate from the hit box would work. Place one at bottom of front legs, another at bottom of hind legs. This would also allow for easy implementation of the Sonic style teetering on ledge. This also might make future gimmicks simpler to implement such as hanging onto a ledge. Just a thought. There are dozens of ways to accomplish this I'm sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Clicker Fusion 2.5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all of your comments and ideas, it's good to know I'm going in the right direction.

I have a decent storyline, the environments above and many different creatures will all play their part. I just need more time to work on the game, but I might just get that in a couple of months. For now I use the spare time I have to bring the project forward.

@happygreenfrog Thank you for your detailed reply, much appreciated! Fiddling with the position might just do the trick - It's also by far the easiest solution :-)

In time I might make more sensors and do a teetering on ledge animation. But I already have 7 collides to keep track of and lots of other animations to do, so I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.

Again thank you all, your support means a lot to me.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the sonic solution HGF suggested. Rayman Origins/legends do this really well. It might end up being the most straightforward solution, since fiddling with hitspots can be a real juggling act