User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Removing chartboost optional permissions

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I wasn't saying that these permissions affect the runtime. What I said was that I would gladly sacrifice some performance, in regards to chartboost, if I could remove these permissions.

The permission to modify data from the external storage in particular is something that many users would find intrusive, and I would prefer to have the option to remove it manually, even if chartboost would end up working slower as a result...

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    external storage is the key for make ads to have cache for fast performance. handle external storage is very common these days
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand why chartboost recommends this permission, and how it uses it, but Admob does not require this permission, and I've never seen a user complain about ads loading slowly for Admob.

On the other hand, I have seen many users complain about the "write to storage" permission as being invasive in other games over the years, and it would be even more difficult for me to insert it, after I've never used it before, just because I've added a new type of ads.

I'm guessing that it would be too difficult to add an option to remove this permission, then? I was hoping that it would be something more simple, like adding one or two lines of code...

Edit: Do you know if there would be any other alternative to removing this permission manually, except for the method that was described by SoftWarewolf in one of the previous posts?

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "write to storage" is new to the latest Android 6 version.. before that it was never needed. 6 makes it required..

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember that Chartboost was adding this permission automatically back in 2014, which was before android 6.0. As far as I know, the only change they did in 6.0 in regards to permissions was that permissions were to be asked to a user while they were running the app, and not directly upon installation. Do you have any link where Google says they changed anything else in regards to the write_external_storage permission? The only thing I could find is this:

Beginning in Android 6.0 (API level 23), users grant permissions to apps while the app is running, not when they install the app. This approach streamlines the app install process, since the user does not need to grant permissions when they install or update the app. It also gives the user more control over the app's functionality; for example, a user could choose to give a camera app access to the camera but not to the device location. The user can revoke the permissions at any time, by going to the app's Settings screen.

Even so, Admob still doesn't use this permission, and it's working fine, as far as I can tell.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ok, AdMob Object have different requirement

// <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET"/>
    // <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_ST ATE"/>

the reason they don't need WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, is because "they are the father of the creature" to say it easy, they save the cache using google play service.
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and Admob = Google.. so that's why no extra permissions are needed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the reason they don't need WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE, is because "they are the father of the creature" to say it easy, they save the cache using google play service. "
    I see... Thank you for the information.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also think it's a little bit intrusive that all extensions just keep adding permissions instead of using the built in permissions list in fusion.
    It would be much more convenient if when adding an extension, the required permission were marked in the checkboxes, instead of just being invisibly added by extensions.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    please add a feature request
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast