User Tag List

Thread: Advanced Save and Load Slots?

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Advanced Save and Load Slots?

GM Click Team family!! Bearboy here with another newbie question.....but this is a bit advanced.
    Can someone show me (by making a tutorial if possible), how to make a multi save slot feature in a game? As you guys know, I've been developing "Super SpazOut" for about 2 months now...and since the game will have so many different levels...I thought it only right to include a "Save and Load" feature. I watched both of "Zentaco's" tutorial video's on "Save States", and "Saving with INI", and they were both great! Kudos to Zentaco by the way...if you aren't familiar with his tutorials on YouTube, you have to do yourself a favor and check him out @ AlmightyZentaco...the guy is a friggin GENIUS when it comes to Fusion! But anyway, the tutorials answered most of my questions, but what they didn't cover was this...... I would like to implement a load screen in my game, in which there are 4 save slots which say "empty" until you choose one, and save your game there. If all the slots are full and you attempt to save, you will be given a message stating that all slots are full, and to continue you must overwrite one of the existing files. They did this a lot with Super Nintendo games, N64 games, etc. As I said before....I think its a bit advanced.....but I'm really OCD about the way I do things. If anyone could help me out here...it would be great!! Thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 MaciOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try out the Array object.

Also, you should register your products in the Community Passport.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a number of ways you could go about it. Using multiple groups in an INI, using sheets in an array to store slots or using the binary object to store your data.

But as Advaith says register your products and you'll be more likely to get an example.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol...what's funny is I'd been trying to find out how to register for quite some time now....... But I got it now. Thanks

Now about that example.....

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've made a basic example using the INI object. But could easily change it to use array or binary extensions if need be.

See attached.
    Attached files Attached files

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I'll do examples for each INI, Array and binary. Find attached the updated example (binary array extension is required).
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks . Great example . Is anyway take screen shot of game on slots ? ( cross platform only )

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could use the screen capture and surface extensions for this in windows. I don't know if there are any extensions that would achieve this for other platforms though.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easiest way I could think of offhand for dealing with multiple save slots is to use the same name for each file plus a variable for which "slot" it was. Then when you'd go to save or load it do:

Filename = Appath$ + "/savefile" + Str$(slot_variable)

EDIT: For your "Empty" thing you can also use the File Object to see if a specific save slot file exists, and if it doesn't change the alt string of say a string object to "Empty".

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys....you've all been so helpful! Im definitely going to try that "Array" example. I'm downloading it now.