User Tag List

View Poll Results: How big is the protagonist in your current game?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 50x50px or smaller

14 70.00%
  • about 100x100px

3 15.00%
  • about 150x150px

1 5.00%
  • about 200x200px or larger

2 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How big is the main character in your current game? (poll)

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weebish Mines characters are 16 x 16
    My in-progress one is literally a giant in comparison, 32H x 24W lol....

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrilley View Post
    To be fair a lot of us went with a pixel art style where things tend to be smaller than high res stuff

Although Jarvis is short even compared to the other characters in the game so I guess he is a midget!
    Long live the pixel art style!

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    32x16 in House Cleaner.

I guess it all depends on what you want, Sprykes Beautiful HD Graphics requires larger sprites while pixels generally go smaller then scale up.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, a part of me still suspects that Spryke is smaller than some others once you take into account frame size. Spryke's native resolution is 1080k, which I guess makes her about 5% of the screen. I know that compared to some classic platformers, that's tiny

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, I believe the relative size is more interesting to look at. Jarvis in his idle pose is 22x23 vs frame size at 400x225 pixels.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My character is huuuuge!

Depending on the animation, but the minimum size is 52x72. The frame is 640x360.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a large character sprite that is atleast 128 px in ht. I noticed that most fusion made games character sprites are rather tiny and resolution being very low res.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My character is around 300 pixels. Am I making a huge mistake? No pun intended >.> idle0.jpg

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    I.L.T.D.O.I.R (I.L.T.D.O.I.R's Location: The Dimension Of Infinite Recursion)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    404: Past Not Found is 640x480, the main character is 28x47. They take up roughly 5% of the horizontal screen space, and roughly 10% of the vertical screen space, though since the game is an RPG this doesn't really affect things much anyways.

Adventure of the Star Twins runs at a 512x288 resolution, and the playable characters are 18x55 and 24x55. They take nearly 20% of the vertical screen space, but they only take up roughly 4% of the horizontal screen space.

ElecMythic Mysteries: The Humanity Legend takes the cake, though: The smallest playable character's body in the game is 32x36 pixels. The other playable characters body in the game are 32x52. The screen resolution? 424x240. The feet and hands are separate objects, however, and make the characters even bigger.

To say the characters are a bit big would be an understatement: The characters take up 7% of the horizontal screenspace (the feet don't affect this, and I'm ignoring the fists since they're constantly shifting around due to animations, making it hard to land an exact number). The shortest character's body takes up exactly 15% of the vertical screen space... and everyone else's bodies takes up 21% of the vertical screenspace. With the feet in mind, the characters take up roughly 13 extra pixels in height.

Here we go...

The shortest character in the game is roughly 49 pixels tall with this in mind, making them take up 20% of the vertical screen space. Everyone else is 65 pixels tall with this in mind. That means they take up 27% of the game's vertical screen space.

I guess that's what happens when the game of mine with the largest graphics also has the smallest screen resolution of the bunch.

Oh, there's also Echobyte Heroes, where the player's ship is 93x62 in an 800x600 resolution game. However, this only adds up to about 10% of the screen both horizontally and vertically, which isn't as impressive as taking up more than 1/4th of the height of the screen.

(I'm not actually sure how I'd go about calculating the exact percentage of screen space that the characters take up, but by mentioning the screen resolution, I'm sure that those of you who do know how to will be able to do it if you're interested in knowing for yourself.)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @drakekaz: I'm sure you're not making a mistake. I think it all comes down to personal taste, and the nature of the game. Small and large characters each have their own pros and cons.

All else being equal, a smaller character will feel much faster than a larger one (that's why I made my character small, relative to the screen, because a feeling of speed is central to my game). But a larger one can not only have more visual detail, but can have more complex collision, structure, and gameplay based on separate limbs. It's why Mario is small (his limbs don't matter; he mainly interacts with the gameworld through the top of his head and the bottom of his feet: he may as well be a rectangle), but the characters in Street Fighter 2 are almost 50% of the screen height (their limbs are extremely important to the gameplay, and need to be capable of moving in many nuanced combinations). Your character looks like it's closer to the latter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast