User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: volCAMERA: a powerful camera engine for Clickteam Fusion 2.5

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Julian I've been purposefully avoiding the forum, just like I've been purposefully avoiding a lot of other things, like social media. (Though I've missed the forum, unlike social media, which I don't miss in the slightest). I've had less time and head-space to work on Spryke this year than in previous years (two children is way more exhausting than one!), so I've tried to cut down on as many different distractions as I can to maximise the time I do have. The last time I actually played a single minute of a computer game (other than Spryke) was January! I'm back this week because I needed to come here to get some help, and ended up sticking around a bit, but don't be surprised if I soon disappear again into my Spryke cave. I hope Outbuddies is going great!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi volCAMERA users, there's a volCAMERA update in the works, but it's likely still a way off. I've made a few improvements here and there over the past few months to the volCAMERA code that I use in my game Spryke, but it always requires some work to get those kinds of improvements into the generic version of a product without breaking stuff. I know I'll make more improvements in the near-mid future, so I'll hold off on official updates till after then. So for now, I want to highlight a couple of bugs that have come up in this forum. They'll be fixed in the next update, whenever that arrives, but until then you can fix them yourselves as shown below.

BUG 1, found by PBarwick (could make the camera boundaries not display properly in the demo - actual camera engine is unaffected):

Quote Originally Posted by PBarwick View Post
    Line 317 reads:
    - Start loop "place volCAMERA X boundaries" Ceil(Frame Width / 1000) + 1 times
    - Start loop "place volCAMERA Y boundaries" Ceil(Frame Height/ 1000) + 1 times

and it should read:
    - Start loop "place volCAMERA X boundaries" Ceil(Frame Height/ 1000) + 1 times
    - Start loop "place volCAMERA Y boundaries" Ceil(Frame Width/ 1000) + 1 times

BUG 2, could prevent left/right camera overshoot from working properly. Make this change to fix it:

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind, Spryke cave sounds good to me I’m just doing programming this year which feels a bit odd, but actually helped to speed things up. Shifting between coding and art all the time was not the right approach for me, next year will be the assets year and then it’s hopefully done.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, my work approach has evolved in a similar direction. I've been spending most of this year working on...not necessarily code, but ....I guess I'd call it systems. So much of the game was comprised of disparate parts that were stuck together for this demo or that conference. And, like you, I was jumping from art to code to marketing to animation etc. I've taken a step back from that approach and am working on making everything as solid as I can, and the workflows as efficient and automated as possible. Some of that's code, some of it's photoshop.

For example, by combining Photoshop's artboards and image generator features with Fusion's PNG import feature, I've now got it set up where I can make a change to any graphic in Photoshop, then immediately hit run in Fusion (mapped to one of the 15 buttons on my mouse - no time-wasting keyboard shortcuts for me :P ), and the graphic will appear in the game runtime - no save dialogs, no import dialogs, no locating the files, nothing - you just work on the graphics whenever you want, then see them automatically updated in-game. It takes a little planning and setup to get this workflow happening, but once it is, it's such a breath of fresh air to work this way!

Once the workflows (graphics generation, level generation, NPC scripting, etc.) are all solid and streamlined, it'll hopefully let me dive into the purely creative side (graphics and level design etc.) and crank out the game content without much other friction getting in the way.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lately I've falled back more and more on this tweet by Derek Yuu when it comes to what to prioritize when gamedeving. Sometimes it's really easy getting tunnel vision and overcomplicating things instead of trying to finish the project. Also realized that going form a working build to a final product worth selling is massive step that atleast i underestimated.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha. Yes, I'm often totally guilty of that. The problem with perfectionism is that it's sometimes your worst enemy, but it's also sometimes your best friend. My perfectionism is responsible for both my best work and my biggest time-wasters. The trick is to try and catch which is which - easier said than done of course.

I'm sure I fall in love with my tools too much sometimes. But other times I know they greatly reduce friction and confusion in my workflow, which saves me time and, even more importantly, sanity.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8