User Tag List

Thread: What Platform Do You Target For Your Game?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Platform Do You Target For Your Game?

Does everyone here simply target mobile platforms? Or do you still make PC .exe games and if you do, are you making any money from them?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave up on mobile. That market is pretty dead to me. By dead I do not mean no activity, because there's plenty of that (something like 300k games each day?) and the way iOS and Apple works is that you can only break through the noise if you're a) a big Company or b) have something highly unique that also fits in Apples family friendly guidelines and taste.

Then there's the other part: how do you make Money? Freemium was such a great thing that got ruined by greed and that's the market they stimulated when the giants tried to build their markets. Even if you only charge one dollar for your game, your downloads and attention sinks to the floor. It's a bit better on iOS but on Google play there's no way you will make Money by Selling your game since you can just google (yourgame)+apk and find a download. So your only choice is to make a f2p game with microtransactions and/or ads.

I'm not a big developer, i have a good career outside of gamedev so this is just a hobby to me. So I would much rather just make the game I want to make and the market for that is the PC market. Yeah Greenlight is crap and the other portals dont have the same attention as Steam, but even then it's much easier and more stimulating business climate than the terrible mobile ones.

I know Apple is working hard to raise the bar and consumer expectations but that's going to take years for them to change.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't have any interest in making mobile games. Too competitive, and it's not a platform I personally enjoy as much as PC. So I'm targeting PC exclusively, with consoles perhaps down the track. I'm certainly not the only fusion dev like that.

I'm not making any money yet because I've yet to finish my game, but I suspect that, statistically, it's much easier for Indies to make money on PC (though still difficult) . Firstly, it's a gigantic market, with over 125 million steam users alone. Secondly, there's a much broader gaming culture on PC with room for many niches. Thirdly, PC gamers are actually willing to spend more than a dollar on their games, without needing to be duped with microtransactions and free to play mechanics

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started PC only (Steam) and lately ported my second game (DISTRAINT) to Android devices. It's still too early to say how it compares to PC, but it's been doing okay. Generating some income which is always welcome.
    I also ported to iOS which I'm going to release soon. On Android, I made it free to play + ads and in-app-purchase to remove the ads. On iOS I'll go premium, though the price will be only 0,99$.
    It will be exciting to see how it performs compared to Android.

Most of my income still comes from the PC version of the game, by far. Though like I mentioned, it's too early to say as I've yet to see how it all works out on iOS.

Once Fusion 3.0 comes out, hopefully, I can start developing also for consoles.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested how that inapp purchase worked out. I've been thinking about that solution and on paper it seems good but I dont actually know how well it translates to income. Would be cool if you shared your experience with that if you want.