User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PiN - an action / horror platformer (Xbone, iOS, Android)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking PiN - an action / horror platformer (Xbone, iOS, Android)

PiN is a fast, action/horror platformer which you can expect to die a lot in..., it will have plenty of fast, platforming action, survival elements, and epic moments.

Screenshot (99).jpgScreenshot (100).jpgScreenshot (101).jpgScreenshot (102).jpgScreenshot (104).jpgScreenshot (105).jpgScreenshot (95).jpg

Tiny video clip: (couldn't embed the video)
    https://twitter.com/Z2Team1/status/855968344188624896

EDIT, new video link: https://t.co/pL6S7Z2AZ7

EDIT2: Uploaded a preview area HERE :- https://www.dropbox.com/s/ktnkkpnfg6...eview.exe?dl=0

Okay so I've nearly finished this level, there's about 15 sections per level, and there's one section in the preview. I've provided a link for anyone who wants to download and provide feedback on the feel/pros/cons. It's beta so expect some bugs. Would really appreciate feedback as I haven't shown many people a playable version. I've got to the point where I can't really tell if the game is good or not anymore, think I've spent too much time on it lately ...

PS... Dash through the box to get to the other side. There's normally a tutorial for it, but it's in the level before it

Controls:-

Default Controls: W,A,S,D (left up down right) ;,',# (jump, throw, dash)

Sprint: Double tap left or right to sprint.
    Double Jump: Press jump twice to double jump.
    ----
    Dash: Press dash while sprinting to...dash
    Air-Dash: Press dash mid-air to air dash. You can air-dash straight, or diagonally upwards/downward
    Throw: Press button 2 (' as default) to throw anything Pin happens to pick up
    Kick-dash: Press jump with your back against a wall to dash off of a wall; you can then link it with an air-dash, double jump, etc.
    Wall-flip: Press jump into a wall to wall flip
    Deflect: Press Down to deflect soft projectiles

----
    You don't really need most of those additional moves in the preview section, but they're there
    If you guys like what you're seeing, I can add additional, more challenging sections

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool! Looks like Feist quiet a bit. Main character is very cute, what is he exactly? Will you be releasing a demo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks very promising. I like the animated background branch, and the swift block-dodge movement. I'm not getting a fast action vibe, but I guess that will come when enemies arrive. The Limbo and Feist similarities look very strong. I hope they don't overwhelm your game's own voice.

By the way, how is it that the Xbone can struggle compared to mobile, since the Xbone's hardware is obviously much superior? Are you putting more effects/features into the Xbone version, or is the UWP just not very well optimised?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woow .It's great game. Nice job!!!.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @maxx: it does doesn't it haha, we actually had no idea about feist but had strong inspiration from limbo. We're going to go with "little ninja", as he's quite agile and acrobatic. We will most likely release a small demo in the forum for people to try.

@Volnaiskra: thanks alot mate, big fans of spryke btw. We were worried about that too, however when you play the game you'll get an entirely different feel, there's plenty of momentum!

We believe the UWP exporter isn't very well optimised, weve had to keep things very minimal and be very cautious about memory usage. Any event group (small to large), or active object can drastically reduce frame rate on the Xbox, however it runs beautifully on android and iOS.

@mehrdad: thank you mate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to bump, just released our trailer if any one wants to share their thoughts!
    https://youtu.be/zPBD7Ymb9yM

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure no one minds you posting updates on your own WIP thread

PiN is definitely a game I'll be keeping my eye on. The footage in the trailer looks good. It definitely feels like Limbo, though with a more nimble and powerful protagonist, which I like.

However, I think the trailer itself could do with faster editing. Your first shot is almost 40 seconds. I can see why you did that: you picked that shot because it sets the scene, shows verticality, a big monster, that your character can throw things, the clever swinging pendulum jump mechanic, double-jumping, and the slide-ahead/swoosh movement. But even with all that in it, it's a single shot that goes for 40 seconds, and it makes the trailer lack energy. It would have more punch if you sliced that footage up so that each of those things you wanted to show was its own little 3-5 second clip, and then spliced those clips up with other ones.

Notice how the Limbo trailer, even though it starts off very slow (for atmosphere), quickly ramps up the pacing. By the time it gets to 0:20, every single shot is brief, and has a singular purpose. You don't see walking and jumping in between key actions - you just see the key actions themselves: pulls a boat, jumps on a log to make it tip, hotel sign falling, spider chasing, and so on. Most shots are only 2-4 seconds long, until the end when they are even shorter. It works really well to make the game feel rich and diverse, and the pacing makes it exciting to watch (even though the pacing of the actual game is 100 times slower, of course). You've also ramped up the pacing towards the end of your trailer, but I think you could benefit from doing it sooner and quicker.

btw, just thought I'd mention that "PiN" is a very unGoogleable name. It'll be virtually impossible to find your game by googling "PiN", and even "PiN game" will be very difficult, as there are already a number of businesses that use that combination. "pin review" might be tricky too. You've probably already thought of this, but just thought I'd mention it.

I hope my comments were helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Volnaiskra,

thanks for the in-depth feedback!
    I totally agree with you, the trailer is a bit too long now that I watch it back. Thankfully, there'll be another trailer for when the game's complete. It'll be *much* shorter.

We've been considering a name change for a while too, it does seem to be a bit difficult to find on google at the moment. We're getting much better luck using popular hashtags on twitter to get traction right now haha.

Thanks again for the insight!

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Can't watch video for some reason! Also submit this to IGC soon please.

http://indiegames.clickteam.com/submission-form

Clickteam on Twitter - Clickteam on Facebook

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Kisguri, updated the first post with a new link! Yeah I'll do that.

Progress update: We're currently working on a short demo to send to Microsoft, and hopefully have something for you guys to play as well.

But we've kind of hit a worrying issue with performance again when we're testing on the Xbox... if Kisguri or any of the other devs could maybe assist with the file, it's the png-based backdrops we use for terrain, grass, etc. We've tried cutting a level in half and it still didn't really help much, and then we cut the png's pretty much in half or as small as possible and it wasn't helping. It runs beautifully on PC, and really well on android. But the point is we want the game to run well on the Xbox one.

As it's a tight-control based platformer, it kind of needs to be at a stable 60fps at least on all devices.

Other notes: *Quick-backdrops with a gradient cause slow-down on the xbox one
    *Not fully sure why, but the execution of code is a bit slower on xbox as well, you can tell with certain events in our game. (i.e. always > set "object X" behind "object Y" will work on PC
    and android, but there's a noticeable delay on Xbox, where you can see object X infront of object Y) We've had to add a new layer specifically for that object, but it works on Xbox now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast