User Tag List

Thread: Small platform issue not working correctly (Depending on how it's sorted?)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small platform issue not working correctly (Depending on how it's sorted?)

I'm developing a Mega Man-esque game, and I am having an issue with these semi-solid platforms. It may be an issue on how, or when they are created.

So, If I create them in this order, it seems fine:

However, if the order of the platform creation is like this, THIS happens, and it's incorrect.

The player hit box is displayed here to show you that he is "standing" on top of the platform.

What happens is, you're supposed to land normally on top of the semi-solid platform (shown on first image). But for whatever reason, if the order of creation of the platforms is different, the player landing frames don't even bother. On top of that, the jump sound effect does not even bother when you jump from this position. Interestingly, the jump sound plays normally when you jump up shown in the first image.

I have tried checking by ID's and fast loops to fix it, but I have not had any luck. Any thoughts, suggestions? Would I need to provide MFA?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what exactly is wrong with the second image? I find it hard to see because of the hitboxes. So the player collides correctly, but the animation+sound doesn't play properly?

A MFA would definitely help, or at least a screenshot (preferably in Event List Editor) of the collision/animation/sound code

By the way, those turquoise platforms look square in the tooltips, but in the screenshots they look rectangular. Are they overlapping? If so, then my first guess would be that the problem is related to this somehow. The player is overlapping 2 platforms at a time, yet unless you're using a forEach loop or something like that, Fusion is probably only executing your code in regards to 1 platform (probably whichever platform was created last).

It's hard to tell exactly what's going on without more details, but one solution might be to use much thinner platform 'detectors', such as the red ones below. You would create these at the same time that you create each turquoise platform. The red detectors would be the 'real' platforms that you do your collision code with, but you would make them invisible so the player couldn't see them. The turquoise ones would be cosmetic only, and wouldn't have any collisions enabled on them. In this setup, the player wouldn't be able to overlap more than one platform at a time.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually using On top edge, and bottom edge detection of object. So if reverse gravity is used, the player would stand on the bottom of the semi solid platform.

Everything else is pretty much normal, just that one error with the semi solid platforms. And there is NO overlap going on between the two platforms as far as I know. It appears to be something to do with when they are created, as in if the top one or bottom platform is created in the code first.

I REALLY hate to give the entire source file out, in case someone else out of community finds it and does work on it that i'm not aware of.
    Can't seem to uplaod MFA here, so guess I'll put it on a site
    (MFA file removed)

Right now it 'looks' normal. However, if you change the order of when the green-ish platforms are created in the test room as shown in the 2nd image, the incorrect image occurs, which is not supposed to happen.

And for the reverse gravity press G. There's other debug commands. I suppose I could eventually figure it out, but I would like second opinion.

If you are confused as where the levels are, I load them from one single active object + global value check, save for having to manage the platform engine code through several hundred frames.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N64Mario View Post
    I'm actually using On top edge
    Not entirely. See here:

First, it checks whether foot is overlapping any part of the platform.

If so, then only afterwards does it check whether the foot is overlapping the top edge:

But - and this is crucial - it is only checking whether it's overlapping the platform that it detected one condition earlier. Because the preceding condition scoped just that one platform. So, the problem works like this:

As Player jumps down, at some point, this happens:

his foot is overlapping both platforms. Then, your code checks if he is overlapping any part of any platform. Then, it checks if it's overlapping the top of that same platform. If the platform that it first checked for happens to be the lower platform, then the code will fire. If it happens to be the upper platform, then it won't. So, as a result, depending on which order the platforms are created in, 1 never gets added to landingDetector, which is why the sound and animation don't trigger.

So my advice from my first post still stands. You need to make it so that it tests for a thin, hidden platform (or else make sure that you exclusively test for just the top of the platforms, not the top edge and the whole, as you have in event 662). You could also perhaps use a forEach loop to force Fusion to test for overlaps on each platform, but that could become expensive. Alternatively, if you create your lower platform one pixel lower at (256,81) then the problem goes away, as the foot can no longer overlap both platforms at once.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 things:
    - Maybe I DON'T want to move the platform down.
    - The issue with making invisible 'THIN' platforms is I have to provide a way to have one on the bottom as well for inverted gravity. I'm trying to avoid adding more objects than I need to.

Interestingly enough, making the foot detector 1 pixel height "kind of" fixes the issue, but then I have the new issue where the foot can't touch anything in inverted gravity.

If you play Super Mario Maker, I am trying to (re)create those kind of semi-solid platforms in to this game engine. So even a semi solid platform over-lap another semi-solid platform should be a condition check, and STILL work as they should. But unfortunately, they do not work correctly here.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N64Mario View Post
    2 things:
    - Maybe I DON'T want to move the platform down.
    Not sure if something's lost in 'translation', but that comes across as a bit rude. I never said that you had to, or wanted to, move the platform down. I was just trying to help you diagnose the problem and offer various possible solutions. Since you don't want to move the platform down or use thin platforms, then you'll need to find another way. As I said in my previous post, the only other methods I can think of are to use forEach loops or to change your collision check code so that it only checks for top/bottom edge collisions. Other solutions might exist, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. But at least you know what the root of the problem is now.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, so yea. I made it so the foot object height of 1 pixel after other condition checks. The first frame is still 2 pixels, then changed it to the next frame of 1 pixel height toward the bottom of the script.

Don't know if it will solve any future issues later, but it seems to fix this current issue, anyway. Thanks for your help, and sorry about any rude remarks.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sweat. Changing the height of the foot midway through the events sounds kind of ingenious actually! I'm glad it has fixed the problem.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, the only other complaint I have now is that I can't seem to play his edge balance frames over an edge of a platform if his sprite is also overlapping a ladder. I imagine that has something to do with that I'm also defining the ladders as semi solid platforms. Which in case if the ladder was NOT a ladder, but another semi-solid platform, the same issue would occur where he wouldn't play his edge balance frames right. :-/