User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Managing objects between frames

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Managing objects between frames

Hello, so Im working on a topdown shooter atm. And I have built this "testbed" level or "master"level where I have been building all the functionality.
    Now after I have completed all the functionality I know that the art is still going to be mostly placeholder stuff. So if I start duplicating my master level as the basis for each level in the game, how do I make sure that if I update graphics in one frame, it will be then updated to all the frames and their respective objects?

Is global object the way to go? Just make all objects in Masterlevel as global before starting to duplicate the level?
    Also I read on some old forum posts that sometimes the global object tick might get buggy and be unticked. Is this still an issue?

Any help on how to manage objects and assets between frames / levels is much appreciated!

Clicker Fusion 2.5HTML5 Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... I would to understand this too.
    Who wants to manage all kinds of code on every frame of a 100 level game.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend ticking the Global Object box. I use it routinely and have never had an issue.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have several possibilites: Global objects, global events, static single frame and dynamic single frame.

Global objects and Global events are probably best when combined. You seem to know quite a bit about global objects, and it's not a bad approach. It's part of how Fusion is designed to deal with multiple events, so it should be a safe approach.
    Global events don't support qualifiers (well they do, but not without dirty tricks), so you need to plan your objects carefully.

By static single frame I mean a huge frame where you have all your levels, and it only seems to the player that the levels are on different frames. This can work for small games where there are not that many objects and enemies on each level.

Dynamic single frame is the approach I most often use. Levels are created in a seperate app, and loaded programatically into the game-frame when called upon. It is very easy to create levels this way, as long as you spend the time required creating a level editor that works for your game. For very complex games, a level editor may also need to be very complex, and in those cases it might not be worth doing this approach, but that's something you'll need to decide. For simple games, it's quite easy making a save and load routine for levels, and can be done in as little as two or three events.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply. I think I will go with global objects and events for now.

On global events, would stuff like the player character movement be placed there? Score, UI, camera movements and datahandling too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the Global Objects check box.
    But, it doesn't show up on a 2nd frame.

So, what does Global Object actually do and what's it good for if I still have to copy objects from 1 frame to another?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Global Objects don't automatically appear in the other frames - you have to have the same object in all frames you want it to appear in. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the functionality of global means it will keep it's state from one frame to the next if it appears in both - that's the gist, anyway.

As an example, I have an array in my current project called InGameArray that has data written to it in frame 1. The object itself appears in Frame 1 and 2, so when I load into frame 2 from frame 1, all the data remains.

Make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4burner View Post
    Global Objects don't automatically appear in the other frames - you have to have the same object in all frames you want it to appear in. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the functionality of global means it will keep it's state from one frame to the next if it appears in both - that's the gist, anyway.

As an example, I have an array in my current project called InGameArray that has data written to it in frame 1. The object itself appears in Frame 1 and 2, so when I load into frame 2 from frame 1, all the data remains.

Make sense?
    Makes total sense.
    Thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont Think it automatically transfers the Graphics tho? It just checks for filename and keeps the alt values.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
    You have several possibilites: Global objects, global events, static single frame and dynamic single frame.

Dynamic single frame is the approach I most often use. Levels are created in a seperate app, and loaded programatically into the game-frame when called upon. It is very easy to create levels this way, as long as you spend the time required creating a level editor that works for your game. For very complex games, a level editor may also need to be very complex, and in those cases it might not be worth doing this approach, but that's something you'll need to decide. For simple games, it's quite easy making a save and load routine for levels, and can be done in as little as two or three events.
    I am intrigued by this.... Do you mean you can load a level frame from a different MFA, or from different frame into the same game engine frame? Because in my latest work, I've been loading a few levels in static single frame. This has become somewhat tedious work to have the script create 25+ objects for just one level. Not to mention possibly having to guess all the positions I need to create them in. If I can have all the level specific objects already layed out in another frame somehow, and then have the game engine frame load that level frame with all the code in the engine frame, that would be very nice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast