User Tag List

Thread: Found Bug in Old Code Related to Destroying Objects

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found Bug in Old Code Related to Destroying Objects

I've got a game I've been working on for a while now and I stumbled across a bug I've never noticed before. It's a simple game where you run forever and you hop across randomly generated platforms. If you smack into the side of a platform or you fall, you die. I have a detector object just at the bottom of the frame for when you fall. When the character's "hitbox," which is what I use to determine if he hit a wall and should die, touches the detector, the actual player sprite is supposed to be destroyed and it creates a little particle effect. At one point I discovered that the player's sprite does not get destroyed, it just falls below the frame too fast for me to see if it actually happens. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, however I'm working on a "combat mode" where 2 players take each other on one on one and the screen splits in half. When player 1, the top screen, dies he just drops down into player 2's screen. The code is as follows:

Collision between (Player Hitbox) and (Group.Good)
    Flying Sprite of (Player 1 Sprite) = 0 [this is power up related]
    Create Particles 1, 2, 3, and 4
    Destroy Player 1 Sprite

I've tried doing varying things like changing Group Good to the detector itself, or making it "Overlapping" instead of "Collision between," but so far nothing is working. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like the player is moving too fast and is actually skipping past the collision detection. How is your movement set up? If you use fastloops, you can confirm that your player moves 1 pixel at a time so it will always hit the wall.

Here's an example tutorial. The section "Bullet with perfect collision detection" explains what I'm talking about: http://www.clickteam.com/creation_materials/tutorials/download/The_Clickers_Guide_To_Fastloops.pdf

Also instead of having an invisible wall offscreen to detect when the player dies, you can just test the position of the player to see when he falls off the bottom of the screen.