User Tag List

Thread: Can you use a PNG picture as a platform?

Clicker iOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Can you use a PNG picture as a platform?

Hi all.

Ok, imagine that you have a large (say, 2000 by 2000) picture of a level.
    You are going to use that picture as a level in a platform game.....easy so far.....BUT because of the huge amounts of walls/floors/ceilings etc that the picture has, you DONT want to spend the next week putting hidden background objects and/or the physics ground objects all over the map so your player character can run on them.

So... I was thinking is there any other way to do this with for example a PNG picture?

My thinking was that IF there was a way to make your players character ignore the transparent part of the picture (IE:...All the open spaces), then in theory what should happen is that your character will only stop/run on the painted parts.

I was wondering if that's doable? Or if anyone else has another way to get round all the tiresome placing of background/physics objects to make platforms?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont Think it's possible sorry, I remember trying something like this Before with a circle where the center was hollow. I wanted the player to run around in that circle but fusion Counts the transparant alpha channel as obstacle too. So eitherway you have to break the Picture up and either paste it or make hidden objects

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Salamanderpants. Yes, I do know that works m8..... but its no good for making a platform game as there are many problems with it.... but thanks for showing it

Guess I will have to do it the long way

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't you just simply import the entire image as either backdrop object, or as active object, then in event editor script add as backdrop?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    transparent obstacle.ziptransparent obstacle2.mfablockob.png

Ok, just to put this to bed

@N64Mario : I have attached the files. In the ZIP there is the .exe if you just want to run it, the other attachments are the picture and the MFA you can load in and play with.

I have added the Physics object and set it up.... so........... If you can figure out a way to make this more stable so it can be used as an easy way to make a platformer then PLEASE do so and tell me!! LOL.

You can see that while the player object will fall down and hit the ground, if you move left or right you can also see that it screws up the collision detection (No idea why tho!?!?)

Have fun!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i dont know how to use the physics object, but i know how 2 do a simple platformer with the platform movement object (PMO) so i hav adjust ur mfa to use that instead & i also changed ur backdrop object to an active, coz it was causing problems with the collision (dunno why)

anyways hope this helps
    Attached files Attached files

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

@Shinbaxter.... TBH I have not used the PMO before....interesting....I will see if it works with the large picture I am using for the level. It should as there are no jaggies for the user object to snag on.... So.... what can I say..... GZ m8.... you rock! I will add you to the credits list in the game

@Salamanderpants....
    Care to elaborate? It sounds more like a problem with the physics object, if that's what you're using. You ought to be using custom movement.
    Well I was basing it on what you did. You can see with the .exe I uploaded that it simply did not work. And yes your right....I could use a custom movement routine.....But it was not needed in the game Im making as the levels were simple enough for the Physics object to deal with.

So folks..... I will give this lot a try and what I will do is to post a demo of the game on the forum later this coming week so you can see it.

Thanks for all the input

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    no probs. glad it was of sum use, & remember if ur picture has jagged bits, u can always use a a second seperate active image that u detect the colossion off that isnt jaggy & just make that one invisible