User Tag List

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: P3D 2.0 - out now!

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi schrodinger!
    I've tested the version 2.0 of P3D and the performance improvment is impressive!
    With the previous version I judged it was too slow (on my PC) to start thinking about a project with P3D but this problem is now solved!
    I get 60fps most of the time but, strangely, framerate goes down when the "camera" rotates (with the castle example : framerate can goes down to 30-40fps during a rotation and then goes back to 60 when I stop rotating).
    Do you know if there is something to do to reduce slowdowns during rotations ?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello BenjaminG,
    thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're experiencing the new "powers" of 2.0

For the rotation drops, there's not very much to do probably, rotations are the most expensive operation, because lots of objects can enter the viewfield in a very small time, and so the engine must pick the new set of objects to render and hide the ones currently on screen. This is in fact more noticeable if you go i.e. behind the castle and turn around: looking at the empty meadow and then at the whole playfield will cause all the objects in the playfield to come in view together and bring the higher performance cost.
    One thing you could consider is lowering the rotation speed of the player, turning around slower will mitigate a bit the effect by having less of this object pick-and-drop per frame, but depends on the kind of gameplay you're after (perhaps rotating speed in the examples is currently too fast for yor needs, but perhaps not!)

Beside this, most of the suggestions in the "performance improvement" chapter of the user manual apply here as well,
    so i.e. reducing the framerate will surely smoothen the effect (you notice a drop from 60 to 40 only if the game runs at 60 fps - if the game runs at 30/40 fps natively, you shouldn't notice drops) you'll have to modify (raise) your characters speed to fit the new framerate accordingly, framerates from 30 fps up are perfectly fine for a game, imo.

But there's very big news in stock, really another new chapter for P3D.

If you've looked at latest posts, the new "shapes" I'm adding will significantly increase performances (and they will be super easy to use and freely moved/stretched/rotated in realtime without any performance drawback)
    I'm still refining the new routines and I'm very satisfied with results so far, yesterday tested about 400 boxes in sight at the same moment at 60 fps on my machine (-> 2400 "faces", about ten times what we had before!)

Still some additional work to do, some for the good and some for the bad (on performances side) so I'd expect final results to be at least like what I'm experiencing now.
    If things go smooth with the additional modifications I need to do, I'll try to post a playable example later (today/tomorrow) so you can try with your hands

Finalizing and publishing the update shouldn't take too long hopefully!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    *cough* I'm a bit late on that example I promised
    sorry I've been ill during last couple days,
    but I've now a couple updates to share on the new boxes,
    I made the "repeating" textures and a "cubemap" format to use different faces on cubes:

cubemap format will be specific for P3D,
    and will be like this:

P3D_cubemap.png

(you will nest all faces in a single picture)

might look a bit strange, but I made it this way to save on some shader operations..

Being "square", it can be better optimized for performances
    (and so it should work fine on casleziro's graphic card )

Unfortunately, to have these features, I had to get rid of spotlights for boxes, the shader was too "full".
    I thought these ones were more interesting/useful.

Another nice feature of repeating texturing on boxes is that their "ratio" can be freely changed,
    even for "cubemapped" textures, and even during runtime:

Another day was spent mounting a new "matrix" math for all the rotations, this was a very important technical change,
    as it allowed to save on a number of operations both for CPU and GPU, and should probably allow better "spacecraft" movements
    (still have to test it to be sure though)

To the next update, with hopefully that example ready!

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice update.
    And it seems to be the season: I'm actually recovering from a pretty terrible cold myself

Is the grid inside the cubemap image just for an example or are the images actually separated like that? I.E does the shader accommodate a pixel gap between each image. EDIT: (nevermind, I see they're in the gif being scaled)

Just out of curiosity (not a big deal if not) can cylinders and spheres be cut in half currently? I imagine not if that would require more constants.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah gridlines were just an aid to make the test image,
    there's no pixel gap, I'll make a better example pic for the manual

Speres and cylinders can't be cutted half at current stage,
    but I think this should be doable, I'd probably put it in another shader.
    The good thing with this system is that the engine feeds the shader "axis-aligned" objects,
    and so it's easier to project them and to find solutions for customizing the bits you need to take from the geometries.

So we'll likely end up having a wide stock of shaders for many different situations,
    it's already three for boxes (scaling, repeating, repeating cubemapped)
    perhaps using conditionals could have been nicer in some way,
    but the constants available won't allow to,
    and anyway having a different version of the shader is faster than requiring a single shader to perform additional condition checks for each object, so in this case I can't totally blame the constants limitation

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A bit of a last-minute announce,
    but The Reactor will be streaming an introductory P3D video about an hour from now,
    the video shows some of the engine's main mechanics, and some brief anticipation on the upcoming features.

I'll be online available for questions regarding P3D along the stream,
    so if you're interested you can check it out, less than one hour from time of this post, at this link:
    https://www.twitch.tv/clickteamllc

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi schrodinger , i like P3D,and i have one.
    the part of ZOMBIE CITY, Whether there is a way to change the manipulation of the mouse is aimed at the part,
    he is not like a first person shooting game,I'm going to start using it to make my work.

And I really like the future of the cyber city style, I saw only a short show on the reactor video,
    Is there a more complete exe or video that can be viewed?

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello 3DBBQ, glad you're enjoying P3D

Not sure I understood the mouse question:
    do you mean you'd like the "mouse lookaround" feature working in a different way,
    or you'd like an example on how to shoot at specific body parts,
    or something else?

If the first one, there's an "advanced mouse lookaround" code nested inside the engine, you can unlock it by adding the "mouse object" extension to your project,
    and going inside "custom movements - movement types and options - mouse lookaround" groups (and follow instructions inside)
    Of course if any doubt let me know!

As for those jaw-dropping cyberpunk city videos, they were made by Sinclairian, taken from an amazing game he is working on,
    he's been posting some in the old P3D (1.0) thread and on his own online pages,
    you find a couple more in P3D2.0 trailer video too, from this minute on: https://youtu.be/1El2NI6RGzM?t=43

Since I'm writing here, sorry for the lack of updates in past weeks,
    but be assured: more time = more stuff coming!
    And there's really big news in stock, won't anticipate right now,
    (almost) everything is well set and I'm working hard to optimize and unleash this new awesome P3D update

Have to make some new examples, and update the manual too due to many news coming, so it might take a little bit still..

Btw, for anyone interested who might have missed it,
    this is the full Reactor video with a 30 minutes tutorial/introduction to P3D:

Jumping at minute 35:20 you get a few anticipations on next update
    (nothing you don't already know if you followed this thread, just showing the new shapes)

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have an awesome accent Schrodinger, I didn't expect it. Where are you from, if you don't mind me asking?

Looking forward to the next update!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here's me thinking Schrodinger would have sounded like a Cat trapped in a box somewhere Good overview of your engine, Schrodinger. Splendid accent too

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast