User Tag List

Thread: Level editor or similar for an adventure game

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Level editor or similar for an adventure game

Hi

I'm working on an adventure game. In first I wanted start it without level editor . But I understood it's almost impossible without it . I made 'wait' system and 'got to' position and 'start dialogue' ,...

It's first time that I want make a level editor and I don't know how can I handle it with get common from INI or array and so on.

For example :

Hero walk to position 200,300;
    wait 10 second;
    Hero say : " It's a beautiful road "

How can I get common from INI or similar into the game ? I made all common by events.
    A little example is so useful

I'm appreciate for any help

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all for level editor is better to use Arrays instead of ini, and also there is a bunch of examples for level editors here on the forums, try searching for it!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen Datswer so you seem to know your way around. I'm not sure about what you're asking help with.
    You can store strings in an ini or look into making a text array. You can call for the strings then when, for example, moving into an (invisible) hot spot.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for reply

@mickarrow
    Thanks a lot . I made Datswer without level editor .Please let me more clear . For ex : How can I do player move to position by write in INI ?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, you need a way to pack all that information into a string, formatted in such a way that you can easily retrieve it again. Where you choose to store these strings (array, INI, plain text, etc) is largely irrelevant.

eg. A tokenized string:
    walk\hero\200\300|wait\10|talk\hero\It's a beautiful road
    Here you would use one of the string parsing/tokenizing extensions to separate your string into multiple substrings (tokens), by splitting them wherever there is a "|" character.
    So the first substring would be "walk\hero\200\300". You'd then separate that substring wherever there is a "\" character. Seeing that the first substring is "walk", you would know that the following three substrings are the character that will walk, and the destination X and Y coordinates.

eg. XML:
    <walk target='hero' x=200 y=300/><wait delay=10/><talk target='hero'>It's a beautiful road</talk>
    XML would be ideal as it's very human-readable, concise and easy to parse. Unfortunately, it's not much of an option in CF2.5, due to the lack of a decent extension (nothing cross-platform, and even on windows you get issues with missing .dlls etc).

eg. JSON:
    [{"action":"walk":{"target":"hero", "destination":{"x":200, "y":300}}, {"action":"wait":{"delay":10}}, {"action":"talk":{"target":"hero", "words":"It's a beautiful road"}]
    Support for JSON is a lot better than XML, so that's definitely an option...

Whichever way you do it, be prepared for things to get very complicated further down the road - for example:

Branching conversations:
    <multipleChoice><choice id=1 result=1>Hello</choice><choice id=2 result=1>Good morning</choice><choice id=3 result=2>You smell!</choice></multipleChoice>

Dynamic strings:
    <text>I'm sorry, you can't afford the <item/> - you only have <playerGold/> gold</text>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much MuddyMole for guide . I'll try tokenized string . I think it's easier way and cross platform too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for up old topic. I found a picture of adventure level editor by @Boba Fonts . Please see attached file

I still don't success to use tokenized string or other ways.
    Would you mind please an example that how can I call a command? like 'walk to position' . Actually I want see connection or call a function to Fusion in INI and so on.
    Images attachées Images attachées