User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which best describe your background/experience?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pre-College/University Student

14 14.89%
  • Computer Science related College/University Student

11 11.70%
  • Other College/University Student

4 4.26%
  • Formal Computer Scientist/Software Engineer/Computer Science related job

11 11.70%
  • Formal Game Developer

12 12.77%
  • Other Job/Skill/Experience

42 44.68%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Poll - What's Your Technical Background/Experience?

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poll - What's Your Technical Background/Experience?

So I was browsing the forums and the Clickteam Fusion Discord just now when it hit me that it might be useful to get an idea of the technical background/experience of the users. A lot of the time, I see users ask for general programming/game develop questions as opposed to Fusion specific questions. Getting to know the general user make-up should allow any future tutorial makers a good start on what to cover.

Thus, vote for the poll option which best describes your technical experience when you were first introduced to Multimedia Fusion/Clickteam Fusion.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my eyes, the whole point of Fusion is that it lets non-programmers do programming. So it always surprises me that there's anyone here at all who has any technical experience (though I'm very grateful that there are, since you guys greatly enrich the community with your knowledge).

My background is digital design in various incarnations: web design, illustration, animation, digital art, Flash design. I have an Arts-Humanities degree and another degree in Multimedia and Digital Arts. I had some programming experience because of Flash, plus fooling with BASIC as a kid, but I never felt like I had a grasp of programming in any meaningful sense. The visual and artistic side was always the bit that captivated me, while the programming was just the means to an end. There's no way I'd be making games outside of a syntax-free programming environment (discovering that Fusion existed was such a joyous moment!). The prospect of ever moving onto 'real' programming remains deeply unappealing to me.

I wasn't sure which option in the poll applied to me, so I went with the last option.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Music Education degree, so I chose the last option too.

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a DD-214 and I'm proud of it.

Marv
    ​455 MMF2 & CTF 2.5 Examples and games
    http://www.castles-of-britain.com/mmf2examples.htm

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an Illustration degree, but worked in the games industry for 15 years as a 3d modeller/animator/level builder. By the time the industry was going full on outsourcing, my job was becoming more of a "cleanup other people's messes" than "creating art I was proud of", so I went full on indie. My time in the games biz allowed me to talk to a lot of people in different areas of expertise and learn some interesting ways to approach developing games. I learned very quickly that my revulsion to "real" syntax was not going to ever be overcome when I tried to learn Actionscript 3. Then I found MMF2 and was able to make my ideas come to life. Like Volnaiskra, I am an artist who finds coding a means to an end, rather than an enjoyable experience. But I do feel some pleasure when I try some complex approach to something and it finally works as intended.

BTW, you might want to add some sort of "Art" option to the poll. Not every game dev is a computer science kind of person.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a BFA in Interactive Design and Game Development. My initial training was in graphic and advertising design, but I discovered Fusion during college, and quickly also picked up Unity and Unreal alongside it (back then, Unreal 2 and just barely Unreal 3). I have now been in the industry for almost 10 years, released a couple Steam games, a handful of web games, run a successful indie gaming expo, and am currently mentoring college students in game dev while continuing to make a game that's almost eaten up a third of my life (ugh and yay simultaneously... yughy?).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Healthcare professional, clearly taking the last option interesting poll!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i flunked out & failed all my studies so nothing there , my real education was intently watching & playing & studying video games at the arcades

as a kid i learned AMOS BASIC on the amiga (i taught myself most of it after my brother showed me the "BASICS" ) and i made many games with it. i also made many games with a school friend where i did the gfx & he did the programming in KLIK N PLAY & GAMES FACTORY. then as a teenager i learned a tiny bit of C++ & managed to make one simple GBA game. then years later i made a couple of iOS games with my friend, where i did the gfx & then i recently in the last few years i picked up FUSION & started making games fully by myself again. =D

maybe we need "no experience" & "self taught" categories lol

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, I'm new here.
    I work into the Italian Sanitary System, but I learnt some base programming from school and university ( base programming at engineery).
    As an hobby I learnt a little bit of mySQL, C# and now I'm studing C++ and the Allegro 5 library.
    Several years ago an italian game magazine sold "The Games Factory" CD as an attached for an internal competition. Now, 15-20 years later, I found Fusion2.5 on Steam and decided to retry the system.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsilvers View Post
    while continuing to make a game that's almost eaten up a third of my life
    Wow. Big statement! Have you got a website or something so that we can see?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast