User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: iPhone X Safe Area Support

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

iPhone X Safe Area Support

As I'm sure you're all aware Apple has announced a new smartphone with a different display ratio and curved edges. Not to mention the inclusion of a camera notch cutting into the display area.

In order for us to support this new screen design we need to be able to retrieve the safe-area coordinates as listed in the Human Interface Guildlines you can find here:
    https://developer.apple.com/ios/huma...view/iphone-x/

This information also comes in handy if the status bar resizes due to a phone call or something else.

I hope this can be added soon so we can prepare our apps for the release of this new phone ASAP.

Images attachées Images attachées

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This new design is concerning because it has a rather large impact on the screen layout for my game.

If I currently have the view resize to the screen size and then extend to fill the screen, will that automatically apply to iPhone X or will it be letterboxed? Because if it doesn't letterbox the curved edges and camera will cover important parts of the screen automatically.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly.

Your application will stretch to fill the entire screen and interface elements go behind the camera notch as well as get cut off by the rounded corners. You can see an example of this in yesterday's keynote when they tested a game. One of it's buttons went behind the camera notch.

This is why we need to be able to retrieve the safe area coordinates ASAP in order to have our apps be able to account for the camera notch and rounded corners and adjust our interfaces accordingly.

Take a look at the Interface Guidelines for an example of what I mean:
    https://developer.apple.com/ios/huma...view/iphone-x/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok after a bit of Googling it looks like existing apps won't be cut off by the camera notch and the rounded corners until they're updated to take advantage of the new screen size. This leaves a new problem though, we're going to need support for the new screen size.

Here's the link where I got this information:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...ne-x-simulator

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1
    Fusion apps needs to be able to scale to the whole screen on all devices, and the safe and margin x,y positions should be retrievable.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    hmm i did read this new concept and not to so sure the runtime will not fit the size correctly, for sure some hints will need to be follow as:

Avoid explicitly placing interactive controls at the very bottom of the screen and in corners. People use swipe gestures at the bottom edge of the display to access the Home screen and app switcher, and these gestures may cancel custom gestures you implement in this area. The far corners of the screen can be difficult areas for people to reach comfortably. ( I have already seen this in a mfa from user)

this is the same concept when you do your application for regular devices in android and console like, nexus TV, amazon Fire TV, etc
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The layout of my game has the main gameplay take up the center and left side of the screen, while the right side is dedicated to various buttons. It perfectly fills the 4.7" screen which will still fit in the iPhone X's screen nicely if centered. The problem is that I have the buttons position automatically at the rightmost edge of the screen, which on iPhone X will be clipped off by the corners or the sensor bar. If I had coordinates for the safe area I could align them to that so they are correctly positioned no matter what device is used.

I could technically detect the width and if it's wider than 4.7" just manually move the buttons, but I'd just be guessing the distance and it might not line up ideally for all devices.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you can't really guess the distance without running into issues on other devices, or even future devices.

Another side-effect of adding support for the safe-area coordinates would be the ability to detect when the status bar is larger (during a call, using GPS, recorder, etc)

It looks like existing apps will simply be centered on the screen with black bars on the top and bottom if you test it in the new version of xcode, so that's good news for now.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    Avoid explicitly placing interactive controls at the very bottom of the screen and in corners.
    the game i specifically bought fusion to make is designed 2 hav a buttons in the bottom left and bottom right corners, & also has energy bars in the top right & left corners. i will need fusion to be able to scale to fit within the safe zone on iphone X. is it possible to have a stretch to fit within safe zone option added if it does go outside?

apple really is not thinking about the game devs

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    what display mode you are using, I have test the runtime so far in portrait and landscape and seem OK.

again is a rule not to put buttons close to the edges leaving at least a 3-5% of the corresponding dimension (this apply to android too)
    Regards,

Fernando Vivolo

... new things are coming ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast