User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you work on your Fusion projects?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always work on the graphics first, and then the code/logic

14 6.70%
  • I work mainly on the graphics, with some code/logic development at the same time

31 14.83%
  • I work on both evenly as I go along

47 22.49%
  • I work main on the code/logic, with some graphics work at the same time.

72 34.45%
  • I always work on the code/logic first, and then the graphics

45 21.53%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you work on graphics or programming first?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has for me nothing to do with the tool you are using. You can start to work on arts but better not the final ones and do not integrate them in your game prototype. Why?
    Just because if your gameplay is juicy and fun with placeholders, it will be even better with nice looking graphics. It is already difficult to judge his own work and decide where the gameplay can be improved, parasiting this critical phase with nice looking graphics would make it even harder. It does not prevent developers to have placeholders with right sizes and collision boxes. And if you are using procedural animation tool, you can even use the same animations in a later phase of prototyping.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Get an idea
    2. Build a quick prototype with boxes and simple graphics done in F2.5 pixel editor
    3. If it's fun usually boot up aseprite and draw a bit more refined main character and maybe an enemy
    4. Add more features and refine
    5. if it's still fun, more sprites, start adding backgrounds etc

and on it goes in that cycle, usually i run into something i cant code and do art, or im sick of pixel and try to code. But never good or final art before the game itself. I wish I had a partner that could focus on either part though..

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making the graphics is my favorite part of development, but I try to postpone it as long as I possibly can until the base of the game is done. I would say I try to make at least 70% of the game with placeholder graphics before I start on the real graphics. In the beginning of my gamedev "carrer" I usually did do the graphics first or in parallel, but I find it kind of locks you up because you really don't want to scrap anything you make even though it might not make sense later on to keep it. With code it is easier to scrap it if it does not make sense or work as intended.

I try to work in somewhat strict workhours though, and when I am really into a project I can actually start to work on the graphics in my "free time" when I usually take some time off. I find making graphics often meditative and I can just work on it while listening to music or podcastes etc as in a trance where the mind feels like it is resting anyway.

It is also extremely satisfying to "dress" up the whole game at a later stage with the proper graphics as it just transforms the whole thing into something so much more fun and it comes to life when you replace the placeholders with the proper graphics.

Here is actually a good example of my game Plantera:

This is the game about 80-90% done with placeholder graphics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tsD9iwGAcA

And this is the final game with real graphics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekq8d5mnc58

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a graphic & game designer by trade, so it's inevitable that anything I make is going to have some Photoshop effort thrown into it. However, in terms of making the game, you gotta focus on programming. The graphical polish, especially when starting out, is purely for context. I always want the player to get a sense of the world they're in, not just "when the gray block lands on the orange block, the orange block disappears." Plus you avoid the useless "why doesn't it look like anything?" feedback, even if you use placeholder Mario or whipped-up pixel art. Starting out I would say is 70% code, 30% graphics, and the two balance out over time.

The real kicker is sound. If you want any kind of player connection in the early stages of the game, get even a few sound effects in. It makes a world of difference.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @outcast - those plantera placeholder gfx hav a sort of early nintendo nes charm to them

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i've done it both ways round.
    but my best results hav come from drawing really quick stickman/blob graphics, then coding them in. if i can manage to make the game feel solid, addictive & tight with those blobs gfx then i know i'm onto sumthin good. rather than starting with great gfx first which can make me lazy & not bother 2 polish the playability as much, coz the gfx carry it & cover it.

plus also the benifits of this way for me is not as much time invested in gfx if i decide 2 scrap the game at an early point, & also wen i do finish a good game with blob gfx, it only gets better wen u put the real gfx in, & gives u a buzz, making a game that had become stale coz u were working on it for so long fresh again

Clicker iOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its interesting reading how everyone approaches it.

Because I have always worked in the commercial area of programming, back in the day of the Dragon/Speccy/Amiga etc, I have become used to visualising how a program will work.

Back in the day, you were part of a team, so the graphics, sound etc were done by someone else and your job was to code it....simple as that. But with languages like F2.5 you really can do it all (esp if you have an eye for graphics).

For me, I tend to do the following in order:

1. Write down the storyline.... What's the game about.
    2. Do a flow-chart of how the elements of the game will link.
    3. Write down programming notes. (IE: This is a loop for movement/Inc x+1 Dec Y-5)...You get the picture
    4. Design the basic UI and game graphics. (or I employ a designer I know if they are complex.)

When I have all the various elements I then start to put down the code based on the knowledge of programming I have gained over the years and from the notes etc that I have already made. Plus I find it very easy to think out the logic of how things will work anyway.

Finally, after the code is done I start to add all the little extras, like for example, a graphic/code to switch off the music or change it etc etc etc. I tend to do the music/sounds last as while they play a big part of a game/app, they take up too much time for me to mess about with them during the building of the game.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Keep voting and discussing folks, this is very interesting to see

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    on the music side of the process,

maybe its coz music creation is not my strong point, but also i've found it easier to sync my game to music already created. ive had many nightmares trying to make music afterwards to match the pace of the game, the worst being wen ive put in a placeholder music from say, a sega saturn japanese game or sumthin & my game feels amazingly fun with it in, then i swap it out with an original and suddenly......the game is lame! & just not flowing, i'm like "nooooo!!! hoooww!!!? was it the music that made it good?". depressing times

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Do you make a working mockup with blank graphics first, or do you need the real graphics to work?

No I use the real graphics right away, otherwise I canít get motivated for the project. If Iím not proud of the very first piece of work for a game then I quit or start over weeks later. Every element has to be a finished piece."

https://www.clickteam.com/interview-of-the-author-of-a-top-paid-game-in-appstore.html

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast