User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you work on your Fusion projects?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always work on the graphics first, and then the code/logic

12 6.35%
  • I work mainly on the graphics, with some code/logic development at the same time

27 14.29%
  • I work on both evenly as I go along

41 21.69%
  • I work main on the code/logic, with some graphics work at the same time.

69 36.51%
  • I always work on the code/logic first, and then the graphics

40 21.16%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Do you work on graphics or programming first?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to try and get a few graphics in there first, and then start programming. I'll use a few older assets as placeholders in some cases, but I try to get the final graphics done as quickly as I can.

I think Scott Cawthon put it perfectly; "No I use the real graphics right away, otherwise I can’t get motivated for the project. If I’m not proud of the very first piece of work for a game then I quit or start over weeks later. Every element has to be a finished piece."

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMakesGames View Post
    Scott Cawthon put it perfectly; "No I use the real graphics right away, otherwise I can’t get motivated for the project. If I’m not proud of the very first piece of work for a game then I quit or start over weeks later. Every element has to be a finished piece."
    I think about that quote a lot.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisish View Post
    I think about that quote a lot.

What do you mean?

Like, you do the same thing? Or am I missing something?

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only work on the graphics first if it's part of the presentation to the idea. Otherwise, it's always the code first. Once those simple boxes of different colors are all doing what they are supposed to I put in simple graphics and test.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually like to plan everything out quite thoroughly before I begin - so for example, if I'm making a turn-based strategy, I will have tables of units, terrain types, combat results, etc, as well as a pretty clear picture in my head of all the game mechanics.

The next step, particularly in a more complex project, is generally to prototype individual game components. So for a turn-based strategy, I will code separate working examples of a movement/pathfinding system, a combat system, a map editor, and so on... These are all just demonstrations though, and when I move onto making the actual game, I will start with a blank .mfa file.

After that, I'll move onto the graphics, starting with the ones that I'll need first - so in a turn-based strategy, I'd be starting with the map editor / saving / loading, so I'd need to draw some terrain tiles first of all. Then I'd start drawing some units, icons, etc, ready for me to add in the other major game components, one at a time.

And then when it's time to just put it all together, that's when I lose motivation and move on to some other project...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my work process like that:

click.jpg
    copy and paste mfa file and rename to today data. Copy original mfa to builds folder.
    #0103-#0803 - it's build data, you can simply track changes and reroll to previous version if you need to.
    at the end of work write to the list what do you whant todo tomorrow:
    if you complete taks mark "+"
    if you didn't complete leave at "-" and move it to tomorrow data.
    if you whant see something else "*"
    something like that.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshMakesGames View Post
    What do you mean?

Like, you do the same thing? Or am I missing something?
    It's just a great philosophy, I don't believe in prototyping, personally, I just like to go with everything as is and touch up later if necessary.

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends in my case. If I have a clear vision on how the game is going to look like, then probably would do graphics first. If I have no idea how the game would look like but I got how it would play like, then it's code first, with some placeholder graphics.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export Module
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that working on the logic,programming first before graphics is much better, at least for me. That way I don't get as bogged down in details or have to throw graphics out because the gameplay did not support it. I try to make as much as the "sceleton" of the game as possible before fleshing it out with the final graphics.

Perhaps a little related to this is that I have found a way of working just recently that really have increased my productivity. The motivation for a project always goes in waves and as someone who is regarding game development as a job I have tried to stay to working regular hours. However when the motivation is at the low point I have found that instead of clocking in the regular hours it is much better to set daily goals.

For example, right now my motivation is about 50% and I have been doing objects for my game. Normally at this quite low motivation level I might be able to make one or two objects a day in a work day that is for me right now about 8 hours. But if I instead set up a daily goal in the morning of say doing 3 objects and then I can take the day off I actually work much more effecient and usually gets the job done in like 1-3 hours because I have this carrot in front of me that I am chasing and the "reward" in the end of being able to take the day off early. I have found this to work extremely well in low points in the development cycle and actually often increasing productivity output but with fewer hours and with more enjoyment at the same time.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, @Outcast , I think you've hit upon a really key element there, that separates the men and women from the boys and girls. When you're an indie dev, you wear many hats, but arguably more important than both the programmer hat and the artist hat is the manager hat! I think that's probably why people like you have published games under your belt while so many others have just unfinished projects. (sadly, I currently include myself in this latter group)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast