User Tag List

Thread: Fusion`s keyboard readout is bugged/ or is it my keyboard?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fusion`s keyboard readout is bugged/ or is it my keyboard?

Hey folks,

I recently added a strafing mechanic to my game and it revealed a possible bug in Fusion's keyboard readout. Could also be that my keyboards are the reason, I've tested on two Lenovo laptops and they both show the bug.

My character has a strafing mechanic that is activated by holding a key (J). Movement is done by ASDW and shooting is (H).

So here's my problem: If the player moves diagonally strafing he hold for example D + W + J. In this state pressing H is not recognized anymore. I replaced Fusion's standard readout with Control X, but the bug is persistent.

I've boiled the problem down to this example .mfa.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/r85hvm86rs...20bug.mfa?dl=0

Btw, the bug does not appear when using a gamepad, it's a keyboard only issue. I know there are issues with some keyboard with recognizing key presses if multiple other keys are held down. Does this mean we have to avoid control setups like mine in total? Advice would be very appreciated!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Isn't that the standard keyboard limitation though? If you hold down too many keys at the same time then the most recent presses will not be detected until you let go of one of the already pressed ones.

(Very frustrating if you're trying to play a fighting game with a friend on the same keyboard!)

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't really aware of that... Actually, I even get problems with some setups when holding two keys at once and pressing the 3rd one (works also in my example with some combinations).

That means you cannot make a diagonal movement + shoot with a keyboard only setup... you'll need keyboard + mouse input. This sucks...

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not specific to fusion, it's called key rollover. Unless you're using a high-end keyboard such as a gaming keyboard, many different keys are on the same circuit. As such, you can only press so many on that circuit at the same time.

To test this, open Notepad and try the same keypress. On my computer, holding D, W and J, does not allow me to input the H key.

Just know that your Fusion-made game isn't the only one that runs into this. All games have to consider this issue, regardless of what tools were used to create them. I've found myself in the same boat before and had to rethink my inputs.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as others have said it's a keyboard issues. You got to use a mechanical or a more expensive one. Only proper fix is to change your button usage, maybe have strafe on a trigger basis (on/off)?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys! Helpful as always I'll go with the trigger solution, probably more convenient for keyboard input anyway.

edit: also found this Wikipedia article on the topic. very useful when designing control schemes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_(key)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect that a safer bet is to use more of the modifier keys (shift, alt, ctrl), since those are obviously intended to be pressed in combination with other keys. For example, if I hold down ASDFGH on my keyboard, I can no longer press most of the other keys, however Shift or Alt still works. EDIT: sorry, I realise that the wikipedia page you linked to already points this out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_(key)

The original Star Control game included a utility to test for key jamming and help the player to determine the best key mapping for their keyboard, since during gameplay it was common for each of the two players to be pressing three or four keys at the same time.
    Yep. I used to get so mad at my friend Marc who would specially mash a couple of extra keys whenever he was losing to stop me from being able to shoot him down in Star Control 2