User Tag List

Thread: Crash on setting Alterable String

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Crash on setting Alterable String

This one has really got me puzzled.
    It seems to only happen when I use the font: SPTiberian.

When I change the alterable string of a string-object with that font, the application will crash (edrt.exe).

I am using the buildtype: MAC application.
    But when I change that to Windows EXE, the problem remains.

Does anybody have a clue to what I can do to get rid of this problem? I really need to use this specific font!

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little update. Now I'm even more confused!

When I change the alterable string by telling the object the exact text I want to change it into, like this: "Hello!", it works. No crash!
    But when I try to get the text from a list-object or an array-object, it will crash EVERY TIME!

Please help!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried to use SPTiberian in a string object, and merely trying to changing the font to SPTiberian in the Frame Editor caused Fusion to crash (Fusion itself, not just edrt). I thought maybe switching my application to Language:Hebrew would work, but that didn't help. Then I tried downloading the font from here, rather than using the pre-installed version that comes with Windows, and it seems to work.

Clicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Volnaiskra,

Thank you for the attempt. I too downloaded the font-files from the location you specified. Two of the three led to an immediate shutdown of Fusion itself. The middle one didn't. But that one didn't solve my problem. Unfortunately it remained. As soon as I try to to change the alterable string to information from a relative location (e.g. list or array), it will crash. I just can't figure out why, because a change to a direct text doesn't cause a crash.

It's a most unfortunate problem!

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm sure Yves would love to hear it. Unfortunately, this kind of bug needs the proper debugger for the Fusion runtime strapping up so best to pop this in the Bug Tracker.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it definitely is worth putting into the bug tracker. But for now, if I was you I'd look into alternative Hebrew language fonts

Clicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I submitted it to the bug tracker.
    I guess I'll have to look at alternative fonts, but hope Yves can give me some good news.
    My application is a way to learn those Hebrew words and I already have a rather extensive array with the Hebrew words and their translation. It was a fairly big job getting that array filled, word by word. With a different font, it is very probable I'lll have to enter it again, because this specific font (SPTiberian) includes all kinds of extra annotations that the school I am making this for, uses. But... when there truly is no way to get SPTiberian to work, I guess I'll just have start over on that array.

Thanks for thinking along with me!

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another potential solution would be to modify the font in a font program yourself. I made a font for my game, and it wasn't that hard to learn. Of course, you wouldn't actually need to make a font yourself. However, it's possible that by simply importing the font into a program like fontForge or TypeTool and resaving it (possibly as .otf rather than .ttf), it might start to work. Perhaps the font contains too many glyphs for Fusion to handle, and you could strip out some ones you don't need? Or perhaps the vectors of certain glyphs are too complicated for Fusion, and you could simplify them?

Just some ideas. Of course, you'd need to check the legality of modifying a font like that, but if you're embedding the font in the EXE, I don't see the harm.

Clicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fortunately I don't have to try to modify the font. Yves came back to me with a solution:

"It crashes in the Direct3D text display function, I don't know why. If you don't need shaders or hardware acceleration in your app I suggest that you switch the display mode property of the application from Direct3D 9 to Standard."

And that did the trick! Thank you for your help!