User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what's the deal with Find (ctrl-F)?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's the deal with Find (ctrl-F)?

I've noticed recently that searching in events (aka "find", or ctrl-F) is pretty hit and miss.

After a little experimentation, I've realised that Find only seems to work for items on the right side of the Editor. For example, in the following example, if you search for "bob", it will only find it in event #1. If you search for "active", it will only find it in event #2. Even though both events contain references to both objects.

I'm assuming this is a known issue, so it's probably not worth reporting on the bug tracker? Does anyone know if it's been worked on, or if CT have said it's unfixable?

There are other idiosyncracies with Find too. For one, it only searches inside folders and subfolders that are open. Also, when it finds results in comments or group titles, it never seems to scroll the editor far enough. For example, if I search for "automatic", this happens:

If I manually scroll down, I can see that Fusion has found the word "automatic" in a comment, but this was below the fold until I manually scrolled down:

Are there any other known idiosyncracies with Finding that people have noticed? And do you think this is something worth pressing for in the bug tracker, or has Yves previously dismissed this unfixable/too time consuming?

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about just reporting it into the bug tracker. Not sure why you think right away that it's not important etc.. your whole statement seems so negative, unless it's me.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, it's probably you. I didn't mean anything negative. I know I've seen Finding discussed before, and I have to assume that if it's a bug, it's an old and well-known one. The last thing Yves and his team needs is for people to post potentially moot or duplicate issues in the bug-tracker willy-nilly without first trying to understand the issue, which is what I'm trying to do here. I've posted two issues to the bugtracker this week. I'm trying to do the responsible thing and double-check the issue before I hit them with a third. So, do you know anything about this issue, Perry?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In my case I don't think I've ever used Ctrl+F, I guess my brain already have the order of events and where everything is burned into the neural network(that's how brains work right?)!

Definitely strange behavior but I can also imagine a lot of people not being sure if its a bug or if they're doing something wrong. Then there's the crowd who are unaware there even is a bugbox section.

I also try keep my reports down to issues that really matters to me so I don't clog the thing more than I have to. CT is definitely not short on work! But if you use Ctrl+F a lot then I don't see why not report it. You already documented it with images and details so copy/paste and go for it I say. Alternatively a feature request for a more advanced searching of events perhaps? One of my most favorite "recent" additions is that we can now filter objects by name in the New condition/action/etc pop-ups. I got hundreds of objects to sort through so that was a most welcome feature that probably saved me hours of work!

Edit: Then there's the possibility that you're the first one to stumble upon it too! Fusion is so large that I'm sure we'll never find all the bugs(especially not when the curse of software development demands there to be at least 10 new bugs for every fixed!)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm commenting here in the hopes of some elaboration of the CTRL+F in fusion.. because I don't ever use it.. it seems totally broken to me.. maybe someone will explain how it works..

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a search through the code..
    It's working fine for me. If I search for something, and once found, I hit F3 for the next one.. (F3 = continue Search.. Like in most editors )
    You just need to make sure that you have all the groups expanded.

Edit: it does seem that the items where you SET the object are being skipped, when you search for that name.

>On Perry = 1 (found)
    + Max = 20
    + Perry = 20 (skipped)
    + Max = Perry (found)

Created bug report: http://bugbox.clickteam.com/issues/4491

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A missing feature here is 'Find & Replace'

This has been mentioned before on other threads.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, Perry. Thanks for reporting that. Here's hoping it's something that's not too hard to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by chrilley View Post
    Edit: Then there's the possibility that you're the first one to stumble upon it too! )
    I'm sure I'm not the first one to notice that Ctrl-F has a habit of skipping over things, and I'm sure I've seen it mentioned before. If you use Ctrl-F a lot, sooner or later you'll come across a situation where you witness Fusion skipping an object from right under your nose. But perhaps I'm the first one to sit down and experiment with it systematically until I discovered a method in the madness. I seem to do that a lot. But I'm sure I don't have all of the story, which is why I made this thread to find out more (maybe this isn't a bug but a feature, maybe there's a workaround, maybe there are other behaviours that need to be reported too....etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by chrilley View Post
    One of my most favorite "recent" additions is that we can now filter objects by name in the New condition/action/etc pop-ups. I got hundreds of objects to sort through so that was a most welcome feature that probably saved me hours of work!
    I love that feature - it truly has saved a ton of work. I'm a really big fan of how Yves and Co keep on adding such useful new features to Fusion, even after this many years. Incidentially, that feature even better since the recent version where the system objects remain at all times....thanks to a suggestion by yours truly :toots-own-horn:

My other favourite recent feature is the bookmark feature. I use that all the time, and because of it I probably use Ctrl-F less than I used to. But I can't imagine not using Ctrl-F at all - maybe because I use the Event List Editor almost exclusively. It's not as necessary in the Event Editor because of the very useful ability to click an object in the top row to filter. Having that ability in an Event List Editor type of interface is probably my #1 hope for Fusion 3.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    I'm commenting here in the hopes of some elaboration of the CTRL+F in fusion.. because I don't ever use it.. it seems totally broken to me.. maybe someone will explain how it works..
    As Perry said, you have to have the groups expanded if you want Ctrl-F to have access to your whole code. What this means, in my experience, is that if you you use lots of groups and subgroups, you're really going to want to create hotkeys for Events\Open All Groups and Events\Close All Groups. The reason for this is that Open all Groups only opens up one 'generation' of groups. If you have, say, child, parent, grandparent, great-grandparent groups, you're going to have to select "Open all Groups" 4 times in a row, which is a nightmare if you're using the menu to do it each time. With a hotkey, it's a breeze. (as I'm sure you know, but not everyone does, you can change hotkeys by going to view\toolbars\customize\keyboard)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is not something only you have encountered. I think a lot of it has to do with the Event List Editor. There are more idiosyncrasies in the ELE than the EE. The one where it doesn't scroll far enough to display the highlighted comment is one I find all the time. It would be handy if there was a check box in the search parameters to include closed folders, although I guess the problem of F2.5 opening all your folders might be a pain once you are done with the search.

The bigger issue with searching through subfolders right now is that expanding subfolders currently does NOT expand all nested subfolders. It usually only opens one layer of subfolders. So you can't simply go to a root folder and say "Expand All" and find all folders open.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A checkbox to include all closed folders would be handy. It could work like bookmarks currently do, where it only opens the relevant folders.

Speaking of checkboxes, it would be good if the current checkboxes persistently remembered their state.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast