Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [PAID] [EXTENSION REQUEST] Collision Extension

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb [PAID] [EXTENSION REQUEST] Collision Extension

I'm an infrequent poster and long term MMF user and something that's always bugged me is the lack of certain Collision conditions, as well as the lack of any kind of decent raycasting extension (not the wolfenstein thing, I mean drawing lines for collision).

So. Since it's something that I think I would use a lot, and also something I think would make my games more efficient, I'd like to propose getting this extension made.

I'm willing to pay for development, I've been in games for a long time, both as a hobbyist and a professional. I'd be paying for this out of my own pocket, to support hobby projects as opposed to proffesional/commercial stuff, so the budget isn't huge. Effectively, I'll outline what I'd like the extension to do, then you propose a price

Condition - GetCollisionLadders
    • Specify an active object.
    • Checks if the Active Object has collided with a Ladder-type backdrop. This should work Exactly like the Collision conditions already available for active objects, but allow for checks against backdrop objects setup with the ladder type.
    • Returns true if any pixel of the selected active object is colliding with a pixel marked as Ladder-type backdrop

Condition - GetOverlappingLadders
    • Checks if the specified Active Object is overlapping a Ladder-type backdrop. This should work Exactly like the IsOverlapping conditions already available for active objects, but allow for checks against backdrop objects setup with the ladder type.
    • Returns true if any pixel of the selected active object is overlapping a pixel marked as Ladder-type backdrop

Condition - GetCollisionPlatform
    • Checks if the Active Object has collided with a Platform-type backdrop. This should work Exactly like the Collision conditions already available for active objects, but allow for checks against backdrop objects setup with the Platform type.
    • Returns true if any pixel of the selected active object is colliding with a pixel marked as Platform-type backdrop

Condition - GetOverlappingPlatform
    • Checks if the specified Active Object is overlapping a Platform-type backdrop. This should work Exactly like the IsOverlapping conditions already available for active objects, but allow for checks against backdrop objects setup with the Platform type.
    • Returns true if any pixel of the selected active object is overlapping a pixel marked as Platform-type backdrop

Condition - RayCastBackdrop(X1,Y1,X2,Y2,CheckObstacle,CheckPla tform,CheckLadder,StepSize)
    • X1,Y1,X2,Y2 are points, Check backdrop/Platform/Ladder are all Booleans, Stepsize is an integer
    • Checks if the line between X1Y1 and X2Y2 collides with a Backdrop. Depending on which of the 3 bools are true will alter which backdrop types the line can collide with. For example:
      RayCastBackdrop(4,8,26,28,1,1,0,3) would draw a line between (4,8) and (26,28). At every 3 pixels along the line it would see if the line was colliding with an Obstacle or Platform type backdrop.
    • Returns true if the line collides with any of the specified backdrop types along it's length.
    • Regardless of whether the result is true or false, when this event is called, the point at which the FIRST collision occurs along the line is stored internally in the CollisionExtension Object. If the result is true, the point stored will be the co-ordinates of the first collision with a backdrop. If False, the point stored will be (X2,Y2)

Condition - RayCastActive(X1,Y1,X2,Y2,ActiveObject,StepSize)
    • X1,Y1,X2,Y2 are points, ActiveObject is an Active, Stepsize is an integer.
    • Checks if the line between X1Y1 and X2Y2 collides with the specified type of ActiveObject. For example:
      RayCastBackdrop(4,8,26,28,"Baddy1",4) would draw a line between (4,8) and (26,28). At every 4 pixels along the line it would see if the line was colliding with an ActiveObject of type Baddy1.
    • Returns true if the line collides with the specified active.
    • Regardless of whether the result is true or false, when this event is called, the point at which the FIRST collision occurs along the line is stored internally in the CollisionExtension Object. If the result is true, the point stored will be the co-ordinates of the first collision with the specified ActiveObject. If False, the point stored will be (X2,Y2)

Expression - GetCollisionPointX()
    • This returns the X component of the last raycast result. This could be from RayCastActive or RayCastBackdrop, depending on which was called last.

Expression - GetCollisionPointY()
    • This returns the Y component of the last raycast result. This could be from RayCastActive or RayCastBackdrop, depending on which was called last.

Other Notes

The above Conditions need to be more efficient than positioning/scaling an active on an angle to simulate a raycast!

RayCastActive should support Groups as well as individual Actives.

My budget would cover the development of the above conditions/Expressions as well as a round of fixes/changes based on use in a project.

This extension would only need to work with the Windows Exporter for MMF2.5 (latest released version).

Budget is in the region of $200

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [BUMP]

Out of interest, are there people out there able to do this and the budget is just too low, or is this somehow impossible?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Phi might be able to weight in on dev costs?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm paid per hour, and I've no idea how to attempt something like this (never had to measure with collision)... but yes, it's far too low. Unless it's stupid simple, which in Fusion and in Fusion SDK could mean different things, it's not going to be done quickly enough for a good hourly rate out of $200.
    So I dunno if it's possible, if it'll be fast, but I can tell you it's more than two days' work, so budget isn't going to cut it.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Phi.

Sure, that's fair. I'd not really considered this to be a piece of contract work for a Freelance coder tbh.
    I'd thought that people here who might be interested would be hobbyists too, who might like to get paid (something) to try and make something small and useful (to me and the wider community).

From my side, it's balancing up hobby with Freelance.

I'm looking to get 8 functions made.
    Lets say realistically that's maybe 8 days (1 day a function, no QA, no amends) and pay an industry standard day rate and I'm looking at $2400. That's 10X the price of the whole engine just to get some new functionality.

Out of interest, what would you quote for this piece of work?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You already got the point butterfingers. For a developper who has already interest in CF2.5 and on this particular topic, I would say 200$ is ok.
    For any other developper, it is not enough. So I agree with Phi on this point.
    I will see if I can get something fast enough for you (I have still Spriter extension to finish).
    The four fist conditions are pretty the same amount of work and the last 2 ones are trivial.
    So there are 2 big blocks to achieve.
    Of course if Phi or other developpers want to get the job, I have far enough to do on other topics.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shame there isn't a kind of pay-share thing where we all donate a bit to the cause to get stuff built, but that would probably be tricky to organise. Wasn't there something like Kickstarter or Fig for developers?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, that makes sense.

To be clear, I'm aware that the raycast stuff can already be done by having an object, setting it's angle and scale and so on, but this is a long process in MMF, and I'm pretty sure that it would be faster (and more usable) done in C++ behind the scenes, hence the want for it to be done as an extension.

I'm also happy to pay for this (up to that original $200) and not want exclusivity, I'd still share it with the community (and probably make some usage examples to go with it).

So, @conceptgame, if you're up for giving it a go, the offer is still open

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisish View Post
    Shame there isn't a kind of pay-share thing where we all donate a bit to the cause to get stuff built, but that would probably be tricky to organise. Wasn't there something like Kickstarter or Fig for developers?
    Yeah, it's always hard to mobilise the community to pay for features before they exist - especially when they're quite abstract features. For me, the above stuff would have made a lot of the collision detection and AI much easier and faster in Not A Hero. I recently got started on a new MMF hobby project, and not having these simple features is a real blocker. Having to write a lot of MMF code to do this stuff (and do it efficiently across a lot of Actives) is hard.

No Products Registered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    raycast collision / line trace is a staple of any decent action- or physically- oriented game engine and is useful in other scenarios as well. A video montage showing examples of how it is used in well-known titles (whether clickteam or not) would certainly make it less "abstract" to potential funders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast