User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Voxel-based 3D Terrain Engine

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very cool! It's really impressive what people can accomplish with shaders alone. Do you think it'd be possible to tilt the camera view, like a barrel roll?

Clicker Fusion 2.5iOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Height mapping, lakes, shadows?? Awesome.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Schrodinger has very kindly optimized my shader code, which has greatly improved render distance and/or quality (it's a tradeoff between the two).
    He also brought to my attention the existence of depth buffering in CF2.5 - a feature which seems to have sneaked in under the radar, but is actually super useful, because it allows us to do this:

Note how even though the volcano is all one Voxel Terrain, and the green diamond is a separate Active, the diamond appears in front of some parts of the volcano, but behind others - that's because we can now not only set the layering coefficient of objects, but we can effectively set the layering coefficient of individual pixels! Thank you Clickteam, and thank you Schrodinger

To answer some other questions:
    - The shadows are pre-baked into the texture - there's no realtime lighting or anything like that.
    - Yes, I will be releasing it when finished (most likely as part of a bundle of experimental shaders, for around $5-6 on Clickstore).
    - No to barrel rolls, unfortunately (the usual excuse - it would go beyond the complexity possible in a ps2.x shader) - but you can tilt the camera up and down, so it could be used for things like this neat parallax scrolling background effect...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Note how the render depth has doubled (thanks to another tip from Schrodinger), and I've also added a simple fog effect

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very nice fog effect!
    Overall it looks really great, awesome work, love it

Now we need to find (or to make..) a cool heightmaps editor

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schrodinger View Post
    Now we need to find (or to make..) a cool heightmaps editor
    I'm sure various tools exist already, and a lot of 3d CAD tools can export a mesh to a heightmap, but actually I think any decent graphics app will do - just use a large brush and a low hardness setting (that's how I made my Terep2 tracks, back in the day). What would be nice is a way to automatically add shadows to a texturemap, based on the heightmap.

If I remember right, the example at the bottom of this page did exactly that (obviously not in realtime)
    http://www.andersriggelsen.dk/mmf2_examples.php

Here's another bonus pic of a different map:

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I get FFIX nostalgia watching those gifs, I can practically hear the airship music!

Do you think it's possible to use one of the Mesh objects to load a model and align it with your "shader world"? I realise depth sorting would probably be impossible though since they're a bit different than a flat Active Objects...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried it, but in theory, I don't see why not - although you're right, depth sorting would definitely not be possible, as it requires a shader, so that's potentially a pretty serious limitation.
    The plan though, is to use sprites pre-rendered from multiple angles, like in the early "Wing Commander" games ( https://cdn.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/wc1ships.png ) - so the same basic technique as used in "Doom", but with multiple rotations around both the horizontal and vertical.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wow! Super impressive MM... It's drumming up ideas in my head already
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahh how many hours (too many..) spent firing at those "Dralthi" Kilrathi ships, that "disk" shape made them particularly fun to hit.

Btw, that glorious first Comanche stage looks great in that last Voxel shader screenshot.

As for heightmaps, yes, I was actually meaning a tool to make (good) heightmaps creation "fast" and "featured",
    as you said, with shadows (and maybe an option to choose lightsource position)
    but also with proper "terrain sculpting" tools,
    that would lerp with adjacent terrain with the proper "steepness" you might need, wether going up or down,
    and that could let you choose terrain type (from your own customizable "brushes" i.e. rock/water/concrete..)
    to react accordingly both in the heightmap and in the texturemap,
    plus maybe a "preview" of how the terrain would actually look like when rendered,
    and likely other useful features I can't come up with right now
    I think something like that would make heightmap creation quicker and fun than you can do now with paint software,
    or by exporting 3D meshes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast