User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: VACCiNE 2 - an improved universal gamepad and debugger engine

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elvisish View Post
    @Volnaiskra Steamworks review flagged a couple of cautions about my build, if the gamepad is unplugged during gamepad and hotplugged, the controller isn't recognized. What do you recommend doing for hotplugging gamepad situations? I could have the menu show if the gamepad is unplugged (would this be tested with Joystick extension?) but polling is expensive and can't be done on every frame. I could poll every second if the menu is up and every three or four seconds during gameplay, but I'm not sure how good this would be.
    You could always give the player the option in a menu to connect a gamepad. Once they click "connect new gamepad" start polling for X amount of time or until connected. I'm sure there are many solutions, but I always prefer to control when events like that would run, and not just have processes happening all the time, even if infrequently.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CuddlyGoose View Post
    You could always give the player the option in a menu to connect a gamepad. Once they click "connect new gamepad" start polling for X amount of time or until connected. I'm sure there are many solutions, but I always prefer to control when events like that would run, and not just have processes happening all the time, even if infrequently.
    Thanks, that's actually a really good idea. Some big games break controllers when disconnected (Costume Quest comes to mind) so I'm interested in how other are dealing with this. I agree, heavy processes (polling was giving a 70ms report in the profiller) even if infrequent aren't great to have running.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vol, what method are you using for Spryke in regards to hotplugging? AFAIK VACCiNE doesn’t have a listener for unplugged controllers that were previously plugged in?

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volnaiskra View Post
    edit
    Vol, what method are you using for Spryke in regards to hotplugging? AFAIK VACCiNE doesn’t have a listener for unplugged controllers that were previously plugged in?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLC
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a strange thing, @Volnaiskra : when using the Xbox One controller wireless, only the raw data is detected for the L and R triggers, it doesn't change/register the VACInput value. However, while the left stick is being used, it does work. This is best demonstrated as the astronaut sprite being zoomed in/transparent only while they are being moved by the left stick.

Attaching it wired, it works perfectly without need of the left stick having activity. Testing further, 360 controllers works as intended when both wired and wireless.

This issue is replicated after a Windows 7 restart, resyncing of wireless controllers etc etc.

Any idea why this might be?

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using dpadDirection of VACInputgamepadNeat at the Start Of Frame causes it to return as dpadDirection = 0 since that's the default for the Alt value, whereas dpadDirection = 0 is used for East, as dpadDirection is usually set to -1. I've instead used DPadpovdeg = 90 for a solid test of the east dpad button during Start of Frame.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just bought VACCiNE2 after playing around with VACCiNE1; and I have to say, it's a very tidy, thorough and powerful little solution for controller support @Volnaiskra . Excellent use of existing and
    your own custom extensions/code to create something very dynamic and most of all; very easy to implement into your own game. I appreciate all the extra values you can monitor aswell, actually just by seeing some of them I've had a few nice ideas for my game . Thoroughly impressed with this.

I have only one problem at the minute with this, and I feel I'm overlooking something very simple here:-
    But does anyone know how to work, for example, a double jump with this? At the moment if I use InputJump for my double jump event, it will register in the same manner as "repeat while button 1 is pressed", so it triggers a double jump straight off the ground.

Atm I've used an alterable value as a "cooldown" between button presses which has worked pretty well, but I'm wondering if there's a way to achieve this without adding a new alterable value per action (or if there's a feature I've overlooked in VACCiNE2).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no bespoke double-jump feature in VACCiNE2, so you haven't missed anything. So you'll need to code it in yourself. Using a cooldown mechanic sounds like the right way to go to me.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, I got started and actually its pretty easy to add them in. Thanks again for this Volnaiskra, it's so nice to have the d-pad work and my controllers properly register within Fusion

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might I ask a quick question, Volnaiskra? I’m planning on making multiple external applications that share information from one hub application: that include sound, window options, and such. With VACCiNE2, can I be able to have players input controller options into the hub application that can be translated into the other packaged applications and save these options as well? Not sub-applications, but external applications that reads off another external application.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast