User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VACCiNE 2 - an improved universal gamepad and debugger engine

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VACCiNE 2 - an improved universal gamepad and debugger engine

Hey everyone. I've spent much of the past couple of months (way more time than I should have!) on a complete overhaul of VACCiNE (Volnaiskra's All-purpose Customisable Controller & iNput Engine), which I'm releasing today as VACCiNE 2. This version is greatly improved over the original in many ways: It's more powerful, easier to use, does more stuff, looks better, and runs up to 430% faster.

What is VACCiNE 2?

Well, the simplest answer is probably just to watch the video below. But in a nutshell, VACCiNE 2 takes the stress and complexity out of using gamepads in Fusion. It makes just about any gamepad work seamlessly with an easy-to-use unified input system that combines gamepad and keyboard. It also offers a powerful in-game debugger, a benchmarking panel that includes an A/B testing utility, and a few other little features to make your Fusion experience easier. VACCiNE 2 gives you the same gamepad engine and debugger tools that I use in my game Spryke. Because I built it primarily to make my own life easier, you can be sure I did my best to make it useful. And because I also made it with other users in mind, I put extra care and attention into removing any rough edges. I tried to make VACCiNE 2 as easy-to-use as I could, but an intermediate level of familiarity with Fusion is recommended.

Please note: due to the amount of improvements, it's not compitable with VACCiNE 1, so users of 1.x versions must remove all VACCiNE code and objects from their game before installing VACCiNE 2.

VACCiNE 2's features include:

Gamepad/input features:

• Makes all major gamepads and a few minor gamepads work - no drivers required - in your PC Fusion game
    • Unlocks previously inaccessible gamepad functionality, such as precise analog control, consistent deadzones & 360-degree right stick input
    • Universal Input System simplifies and consolidates gamepads, keyboard and mouse into cohesive and ready-to-use Alterable Values
    • Improved mouse support compared to VAC1 (integrated buttons 3, 4 & 5 into Unified Input System; improved scrollwheel behaviour; introduced 360-rotation mouse movement)
    • Added tentative support for the Ultimarc I-PAC2 arcade controller (untested - if you have one, PM me your email and I'll send you a free copy of VAC2 to test)
    • Includes a greatly improved the "stepping" mechanism, which manages an optional type of movement input that's perfectly suited to menus and UI.

Debugger tools:

• Provides a robust in-game debugger panel, toggleable with a key or gamepad button
    • Convenient keyboard-activated Freeze-Frame functionality to help you debug
    • A/B testing system (literally 1000+ times more accurate than in VACCiNE 1, due to new Microtimer object): Place events in designated folders, and measure their performance against each other with a few keypresses
    • Benchmarking panel with performance data about your game, including FPS, Tick duration, and VACCiNE's own measure: VAC score
    • Visual alert system to conveniently test whether an event is firing and/or if it has ever fired

General features:

• Major redesign and code overhaul of VACCiNE. Most features improved; many aspects redone from scratch, several new features added.
    • Wholesale code overhaul. Input engine up to 250% faster. Debugger up to 430% faster.
    • Code is more compact, cleaner, better structured, and more thoroughly commented.
    • Comes in several variations for your convenience (including input-only)
    • Tick timers that count ticks and keep track of every 2nd tick, every 3rd tick, every 10th tick, alternate ticks, etc. Use them to fire events at particular intervals
    • Readymade real-time trigonometric values that can be used to quickly assign a curve or rhythm to something
    • Comprehensive demo included - just run the MFA and follow the prompts to familiarise yourself with all of VACCiNE's features
    • No longer clutters up your Frame Editor's game area - all VACCiNE elements are now positioned via events, so may be placed anywhere in the Frame Editor, including outside the play area

All the major features are outlined in the video below.

Screenshot of the included demo:

Get VACCiNE 2 on the Clickstore:

The original VACCiNE was (and still is, and always will be) free. Due to the crazy amount of time I've spent on VACCiNE 2 (many weeks, not counting all the time I already spent building VACCiNE 1), I decided I had to charge a small price for VACCiNE 2 so I wouldn't feel quite so distraught about how much of my gamedev time it consumed! You can buy it for $3.99 on the Clickstore here: http://clickstore.clickteam.com/vaccine_2

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great tool again from you, Iwill go through the purchase page again!
    Thanks!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really good work! Loved vaccine 1, will def support this.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm working on a game with 2Players, is it possible to use VACCINE2 also to config and use the 2nd Player controller? By the way Good job!

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's certainly possible, and I'm sure VACCiNE would be of some use, but it would also involve a lot of tweaking of the engine from you. VACCiNE already does a good job of detecting multiple gamepads and telling them apart. However, it funnels them all into a single-player input system. So you'd have to change the code so that instead of funneling everything into a single-player input system, it keeps track of the different gamepads and funnels their inputs into separate input systems.

It's also probably worth mentioning that this is not something I'm ever likely to add to VACCiNE myself in a future update, since my own game is single-player only.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bought... )))

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought this recently and had a good look at it for the first time today. This is some impressive work Vol.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, Dave.
    I use your VACCiNE 2 in my game and found one big problem with the ControlX extension and jumping between frames.

To start the game the player needs to click on Enter on menu frame. I do it this way:
    + IsGamepadPreferred of VACEngine = 0
    + InputAccept of VACinputUI = 1
    - Jump to Frame Game

But in some situations on the frame Game I always got InputAccept of VACinputUI = 1 when the Enter button is released. After some experiments I found the "problem", during the transition between frames, Fusion(?) loses the button release event. As a "solution" I set to global events the condition
    + End of Frame
    - Simulate key no (LastKeyPressed (Control) up

You can also run the example and briefly press the Enter button and you can get a constant frame change without pressing the button (This may not happen the first time).
    On the video, I got a looped jump between frame in example with 3 short presses on Enter
    https://youtu.be/Sx9xwwMC9o4

P.S. Sorry for my english

ctrlX - example.mfa

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @Volnaiskra , the comments in VACCINE suggest to place all the VACCiNE code groups at the bottom of all other code - is this right? Wouldn't the events that are updating the VACinput alterable values then set those after all the code that you use to move your character about? Meaning that each tick you're moving the character based on the input of the preceeding tick?

I might be wrong, but just thought I'd check!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another follow-up question @Volnaiskra - are the deadzones the same for both sticks on a controller? The right one feels different, but I could be wrong about that as I'm testing inverting the sticks as a control option and moving with right stick feels weird generally to me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast