Hey everyone. I've spent much of the past couple of months (way more time than I should have!) on a complete overhaul of VACCiNE (Volnaiskra's All-purpose Customisable Controller & iNput Engine), which I'm releasing today as VACCiNE 2. This version is greatly improved over the original in many ways: It's more powerful, easier to use, does more stuff, looks better, and runs up to 430% faster.
What is VACCiNE 2?
Well, the simplest answer is probably just to watch the video below. But in a nutshell, VACCiNE 2 takes the stress and complexity out of using gamepads in Fusion. It makes just about any gamepad work seamlessly with an easy-to-use unified input system that combines gamepad and keyboard. It also offers a powerful in-game debugger, a benchmarking panel that includes an A/B testing utility, and a few other little features to make your Fusion experience easier. VACCiNE 2 gives you the same gamepad engine and debugger tools that I use in my game Spryke. Because I built it primarily to make my own life easier, you can be sure I did my best to make it useful. And because I also made it with other users in mind, I put extra care and attention into removing any rough edges. I tried to make VACCiNE 2 as easy-to-use as I could, but an intermediate level of familiarity with Fusion is recommended.
Please note: due to the amount of improvements, it's not compitable with VACCiNE 1, so users of 1.x versions must remove all VACCiNE code and objects from their game before installing VACCiNE 2.
VACCiNE 2's features include:
• Makes all major gamepads and a few minor gamepads work - no drivers required - in your PC Fusion game
• Unlocks previously inaccessible gamepad functionality, such as precise analog control, consistent deadzones & 360-degree right stick input
• Universal Input System simplifies and consolidates gamepads, keyboard and mouse into cohesive and ready-to-use Alterable Values
• Improved mouse support compared to VAC1 (integrated buttons 3, 4 & 5 into Unified Input System; improved scrollwheel behaviour; introduced 360-rotation mouse movement)
• Added tentative support for the Ultimarc I-PAC2 arcade controller (untested - if you have one, PM me your email and I'll send you a free copy of VAC2 to test)
• Includes a greatly improved the "stepping" mechanism, which manages an optional type of movement input that's perfectly suited to menus and UI.
• Provides a robust in-game debugger panel, toggleable with a key or gamepad button
• Convenient keyboard-activated Freeze-Frame functionality to help you debug
• A/B testing system (literally 1000+ times more accurate than in VACCiNE 1, due to new Microtimer object): Place events in designated folders, and measure their performance against each other with a few keypresses
• Benchmarking panel with performance data about your game, including FPS, Tick duration, and VACCiNE's own measure: VAC score
• Visual alert system to conveniently test whether an event is firing and/or if it has ever fired
• Major redesign and code overhaul of VACCiNE. Most features improved; many aspects redone from scratch, several new features added.
• Wholesale code overhaul. Input engine up to 250% faster. Debugger up to 430% faster.
• Code is more compact, cleaner, better structured, and more thoroughly commented.
• Comes in several variations for your convenience (including input-only)
• Tick timers that count ticks and keep track of every 2nd tick, every 3rd tick, every 10th tick, alternate ticks, etc. Use them to fire events at particular intervals
• Readymade real-time trigonometric values that can be used to quickly assign a curve or rhythm to something
• Comprehensive demo included - just run the MFA and follow the prompts to familiarise yourself with all of VACCiNE's features
• No longer clutters up your Frame Editor's game area - all VACCiNE elements are now positioned via events, so may be placed anywhere in the Frame Editor, including outside the play area
All the major features are outlined in the video below.
Screenshot of the included demo:
Get VACCiNE 2 on the Clickstore:
The original VACCiNE was (and still is, and always will be) free. Due to the crazy amount of time I've spent on VACCiNE 2 (many weeks, not counting all the time I already spent building VACCiNE 1), I decided I had to charge a small price for VACCiNE 2 so I wouldn't feel quite so distraught about how much of my gamedev time it consumed! You can buy it for $3.99 on the Clickstore here: http://clickstore.clickteam.com/vaccine_2