User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AVG virus scan goes crazy every time I run an executable

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more like a problem with professional gamedev. I just find it extremely embarrassing that every time when I push an update to Steam, and a player opens up the .exe their virus scanner complains about it.

Isn't that really confusing? I know I would be asking like "What the hell, didn't I just scan this game the last time? And the time before that?"

Getting a signed certificate for the game seems to be the only way, but that seems a bit cumbersome too. Going through the process of encryption every time you make an update does not sound ideal to me. And like people mentioned in the other thread, I have built numerous Unity games as a test, and I haven't gotten this pop-up once. Like, if that has happened zero times with Unity, and it does every time with Fusion, it really makes you think.

I do get that this has been a problem with Clickteam executables before too, it's just that with newer versions of the AVG it happens way too often.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you say ???? it just open AVG one time!!! But if you want pay the certificate.
    EDIT : And some cool other dev (not fusion dev) open my AVG scan. This is not a problem for me...
    EDIT2 : Unity make an instal. Try to use instal creator pro to see if that resolved the problem. Actually, you want to run an exe that you didn't instal. So instal this exe by a proper way.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRandom View Post
    With Steam or AVG? Where and how do you get one?

I have tried literally everything, from smaller one frame test applications to bigger games, but they all have the same issue now.
    Google "comodo code sign" and you'll find various places selling certificates. I didn't need to hire a lawyer like the other thread mentions, but I did have to send over all sorts of proof of identity. (Edit: looks like after October 2016, requirements have changed a bit so when I renew next year I may need to provide more documentation and possibly the lawyer letter mentioned in previous comments)

Getting that done, then learning the script for signing, was tough. It was well, well worth it. Now that things are set, it just takes a minute to sign and verify any application I make.

Comodo certs can be bought from lots of third party sellers, so look around and read reviews on the support any given company provides so you can get up and running.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    but I didn't have to send over all sorts of proof of identity.
    u meant "did" right?

also, do only hav to buy 1 certificate for all your apps, or do you hav to buy with each app?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SHINBAXTER View Post
    u meant "did" right?

also, do only hav to buy 1 certificate for all your apps, or do you hav to buy with each app?
    Sorry for the typo. I've edited my original post to reflect that change and additional details regarding changes in obtaining a code signing license after October 2016.

A single certificate is good for any number of apps. The certificate signs your company or brand name to the software, so you may need multiple certificates if you develop under multiple names.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ratty View Post
    Sorry for the typo. I've edited my original post to reflect that change and additional details regarding changes in obtaining a code signing license after October 2016.

A single certificate is good for any number of apps. The certificate signs your company or brand name to the software, so you may need multiple certificates if you develop under multiple names.

Hi, I'm probably going to have to do this but I need to know what is the actual process of signing your exe. Do you add some code to the build or what? Is it easy/painless to do?

Thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ksoftware is a Comodo reseller that offers an easy tool called Ksign, just build your .exe load it into Ksign and choose your certificate (.pfx). Itís very simple. https://www.ksoftware.net/code-signing-certificates/

It seams the process comodo demands depends on your business and location. For me it was very expensive. They demanded verification of my documents by a local licensed lawyer, which cost me about 300 Euros for 4 pages... Donít really think it was worth it btw, if you distribute on Steam youíre fine without it, and many indies donít do it. In the end whitelisting and app is always up to the user.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    Ksoftware is a Comodo reseller that offers an easy tool called Ksign, just build your .exe load it into Ksign and choose your certificate (.pfx). It’s very simple. https://www.ksoftware.net/code-signing-certificates/
    It seems the process comodo demands depends on your business and location. For me it was very expensive. They demanded verification of my documents by a local licensed lawyer, which cost me about 300 Euros for 4 pages... Don’t really think it was worth it btw, if you distribute on Steam you’re fine without it, and many indies don’t do it. In the end whitelisting and app is always up to the user.

Thanks. I tried testing my app from Steam and anti virus programs/ windows defender still deleted the exe even from the steam installation so I bought a certificate...only to find out I now need to do all kinds of verification (like you say). I dont actually have a registered business anymore so I don't know how it works..If I have to get lawyers / create a limited company etc then I guess I'm screwed and I may as well flush 6 months of dev time down the toilet.

Gotta say, this is a complete joke only to find this out now. I'd thought its its kind of important to know that Fusion apps will be regarded as virusses before development even begins. This would have swayed my engine choice significantly.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not common behavior with Fusion games tho, I mean a direct delete by windows defender. What kind of app is that, and does it try to manipulate anything windows associated? or does it try to save stuff to the wrong place? ... just wild guesses.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    That is not common behavior with Fusion games tho, I mean a direct delete by windows defender. What kind of app is that, and does it try to manipulate anything windows associated? or does it try to save stuff to the wrong place? ... just wild guesses.
    Its a radial menu style app (www.makross.net) nothing special and it doesn't do anything dodgy. I had Microsoft have a look at the .exe and now they have removed the 'false positive' and with the latest definitions update everything seems to be working.

Fingers crossed I wont really need the code signing certificate now but I guess I'll never really know until I release it..

Apologies for the grotty-ness of my previous post. Yesterday was a bad day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast