User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a game they're selling on steam?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone have a game they're selling on steam?

I ask because I'd like to know how many copies you sold, I'm think about making a game for steam and I want to see if it would be worth my time.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have three and a soundtrack up there currently. If you think your game is worth the $100 entry fee and a week's worth of setting things up then by all means go for it.

Also FYI it's considered a universal No No to ask about a dev's personal sales numbers. You may luck out and someone here that will tell you but that sort of thing is considered personal and not something to ask on a public forum IMO.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Del_Duio mentioned, not very fond of sharing numbers, but I make my living developing games, so it's most definitely doable.
    However, it's a crowded market and super tough to get any exposure. You need to start showing your game early, building community... lots of work, but it's doable! Good luck!

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a highly backward thinking approach to this. Making a game "for" steam wont give you anything, you make a game for the people and use steam to sell it. It's a store not a taste maker. If your game is garbage it doesnt matter what store you make it for.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Del_Duio View Post
    Also FYI it's considered a universal No No to ask about a dev's personal sales numbers. You may luck out and someone here that will tell you but that sort of thing is considered personal and not something to ask on a public forum IMO.
    like asking a woman how much she weighs.

....but i like to do it anyways

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want numbers use steamspy, not perfect and has some confounders but the higher sales numbers are the more accurate it gets. You never know how many copies were sold on heavy discount though.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's not something that is often talked about openly but you could probably find some devs who share a little bit of statistics by googling or do what Julian82 suggested. However there are too many factors involved to know for sure if you're going to do well or not on Steam. Knowing random sales numbers won't really do much for you in my opinion.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say that chrilley should be able to buy a small island once Jarvis hits

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Del_Duio-
    The game that I'd like to make will cost a couple hundred to make for art and animation, I got burned bad by the app store being drowned out by games both good and bad and my fear is that steam is the same way. I wouldn't want to put so much time and money in just to get 10 sales. The
    game's definitely worth the $100 fee, but then again I remember the app store. Sorry about the sales question, I personally would be find showing sales, but I understand. Also yeah, I could just go on steamspy. I think I even searched your games on it, which makes the question dumb and pointless now.

J3sseM-
    Yes, that is the best way to do it. A community, friends and connections.

zip2kx -
    Sorry, you misunderstood me. When I said "making a game for steam" I meant making a good fun game that I already wanted to make (It's mechanics and levels are already planned out.) and seeing if it would be a waste of my time and money making a good game that won't sell not because it's not fun, but because a hundred games came out the same day as mine. I spent 4 months and a good chunk of money making a game for the app store and no one downloaded it even when it was free, the app store is flooded with games both good and bad.
    Also I go by Nintendo logic, bad games are a waste of my time.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should definitely make games that are fun and the type that you yourself would want to play foremost. Steam is great however it took me 29 years to get there. Made a ton of stuff for myself and a couple friends and later maybe for my kids that nobody would ever see, yet these still took years to do in some cases. I consider myself lucky so far. What I might lack in flash I make up for in other areas like customer service / relations with my player base. So far so good!

Although I don't think it's quite gotten to the AppStore mess I will say that Steam is kind of headed there. Lately there has been a huge wave of junk / joke games that have been added due to the elimination of their Greenlight (community vote) requirement to get a game accepted. This was replaced with a simple "pay $100 bucks and you're in!" deal which has led to a bunch of cheap asset-flipping garbage amongst others. So in a sense it's possible your game could get drowned out but that's the same with any game really.

I hate promotion and refuse to pay some of these shady publishers who WILL come out of the woodwork looking to make a quick buck off your baby. The rub is you'll have to do promotion yourself or try and get legit YouTubers to give your game a review and hope for the best. Just be wary because there's lots of people out there who's sole purpose in life is to lie in wait for new games and jump on the devs asking for free this and free that who will never hold their end of the deal up.

So if that's worth the $100 go for it lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast