User Tag List

Thread: How can I prevent my frame editor being sluggish?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How can I prevent my frame editor being sluggish?

My game uses a single frame engine, and that frame is getting very populated with lots of objects - not all of which are active in every level, but all of which need to reside on the main engine frame. This frame is 10000x7000 (actual game window is 1920x1080)

I've noticed recently that the frame editor is getting really sluggish to drag around, to the point where it's starting to really impact my productivity. I'm starting to wonder whether having all my content in one frame will ultimately even be feasible.

Does anyone have any tips with how to minimise this sluggishness? Does margin size matter? Number of layers? Will putting a 'fake' tiny animation frame into the first frame of a large object make it quicker to drag around? Do global objects affect the speed of dragging the frame editor differently to local objects?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't know the answer to latest questions,
    but was wondering if you could consider dynamically creating the "assets" you need,
    and keeping those assets in another frame,
    since you can create objects taken from another frame, even if they are not global.

These will anyway appear among "created objects", but won't lie in the frame editor (unless you "show created items")
    so I'm *guessing* they won't clog the frame editor - just a guess though!

So you'd have your "assets" frame where you keep all your potentially useful in-game content,
    and at beginning of each game level you would "create" the assets you need for that level
    (I guess you already have a level editor, so you'd have to modify a bit that and perhaps hardcode object creation..
    "create by name" won't work with objects from another frame )

You could also consider putting the "assets" frame before the actual game frame and use it as a "loading" screen,
    to possibly cut on loading times for the game frame
    since objects loaded in that frame afaik should reside in memory for the following frame,
    but not sure this would still hold true once you "reload" the game frame for following levels
    (whithout having already in the newly required assets)

Clicker

Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    he's talking about just using fusion, not running the game.
    i'll say it... get a better pc

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Vol has a better PC than most of us. But Schrodingers solution should be a big help, since you're loading levels, presumably from arrays, there is no need to leave hundreds of unique assets in the main "gameplay" frame, so that should speed it up.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My PC's certainly no slouch. Core i7-4770k, GTX 980ti, 32gb high-speed ram, Windows running on an SSD, fusion running on a separate SSD. I doubt there's much I could do hardware-wise that would make any difference.

Schrodinger's suggestion sounds fantastic! I didn't know you could create objects from other frames. I'll definitely do this. This will be a big help, even if only to visually declutter my workspace.

I have a feeling like RAM is a culprit here. I've actually had some "out of memory" errors recently. I'm not sure why, because Fusion was using well under 1gb (its maximum should be about 1.5 I guess) , and I still had many gigs from my 32gb free overall (though I was using Photoshop intensively at the time, so maybe the two programs weren't multitasking nicely).

I suppose Schrodinger's suggestion might ease the ram burden, if many objects are hidden away on a separate frame somewhere? Though I wonder if Fusion must load all objects from all frames into memory at once? I guess can try it and see.

Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, if anyone has any knowledge on other ways to speed up the frame editor, I'm still interested. I know that having the grid on slows it down, as does zooming out to 25%, as does having shaders activated on visible objects. I don't know about margin sizes and other things though

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perhaps a possible feature request ( no idea if this would even work with how Fusion is built ) but something along the lines of Adobe Indesign viewport display options ( fast / typical / high quality ) where the assets in "fast display" mode are represented as pixelated low resolution graphics, and only upon opening the assets would Fusion load the higher resolution object for viewing/editing.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5+ DLC
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine making fake "tiny" animations in large objects would indeed ease the burden a bit. Plus it makes it easier to drag stuff around and organize! I make rows/stacks of 32x32 objects this way out of frame.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent a couple of hours making tiny 'fake' animations for most of the larger objects (eg 1920x1080 or 1000x100), and it's really made a big improvement. I've made them 100x100px so that they're large enough to clearly label and color code, and dragging through the frame editor is way smoother now.

I'll probably end up trying schrodinger's idea at some stage too, especially as it sounds like a neat way to organise rarely used assets.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I've been getting this sort of thing on a regular basis recently. The Frame Editor goes all screwy when I zoom out to 25% and stops updating the pixels on the screen properly. So if I zoom out to 25% and then drag around for a few seconds, I'm left with the bottom image. Has anyone seen this before, or know how I can fix it? I'm on R289.3, and Fusion is only consuming 358MB of RAM.

BTW, this frame is from a level-editor frame, where I place 'guide' objects that will be translated into an array. So I have a lot of full-size graphics in this frame, and giving them tiny 'fake' animations as discussed above isn't an option (since I need them full-size so I can see how I'm layout out the level)