User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Memory corruption, sprites swapping, old school glitching out

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Yeah it's still goin crazy after copying all the frames to a new project...

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Can you launch the debugger and tell me what shows in the memory usage?

Secondly, can you run task manager and tell me what kind of memory usage edrt.exe is using... Hopefully this is a memory issue in which we should be able to act upon now (rather than later).
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In rare cases I experienced corruption like this too in my game but only on frame shifts. Try inserting a blank frame between frame shifts to make sure you clear all memory before the new tiles are loaded. I call it “giving good old Fusion a break”, since I do that this stuff disappeared. Recently I changed to a complete one frame setup with no shifts at all, this also is causing no trouble so far. Seems there’s some quirks in memory management on frame shifts.

Edit: the reason you can access your levels without glitching from the title screen might be due to the title screen using little memory so there’s enough left to handle the next frame. This may support my blank frame suggestion.

Edit2: one more question. How is your tile count (created backdrops) and have you set the object count to max (20.000) in every frame’s properties. This will also affect the number of backdrops that can be created/displayed on runtime.

Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Danny Around 47Mb when i come from a really large level to that small boss room in the gif. 48Mb in the previous large area.
    Task manager stats seem normal. 1-2% CPU, ~23MB Memory, 8-10% GPU

@Julian82 Thanks I will try this. I'll get back with the results after I rest up, exhausted atm.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Julian82 : any tips for a one-frame setup? My current setup has a single engine frame, but it changes levels by jumping to another frame and jumping back. I've been thinking of moving to a single-frame environment though to cut down on loading times. What's a good way of flushing the memory within the frame?

Edit: wow, we can finally edit a post on Android without deleting it! Looks like Simon's work on the forum infrastructure has been paying off. This 'mention' functionality seems good too. Still bummed about the lack of sigs though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Julian that worked. I made blank frame at the end of my project, used it as a pit-stop during any frame change and voila, no more sprite-swapping. Oh and my object limit was set to 5000 everywhere, I thought you meant 20 for a whole day. I'm amazed that 2.000 means two thousand in some regions (all of europe?). Also I don't think I create many backdrops during runtime, I just have large levels with many backdrops that were placed before runtime, and a decent amount of actives as well.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipSwitchX View Post
    I'm amazed that 2.000 means two thousand in some regions (all of europe?). Also I don't think I create many backdrops during runtime, I just have large levels with many backdrops that were placed before runtime, and a decent amount of actives as well.
    Don’t know, actually^^ I think it’s not an European thing but more like a habit when you’re not able to grasp huge numbers Glad this workaround helped, but I seriously think CT should investigate what’s going on there, maybe present them your .mfa as this bug is not easy to reproduce. I also don’t understand to a full extend what this object limit really means and why it also affects backdrop creation next to the actives. Seems Fusion allocates more memory for certain tasks due to this setting. I also don’t use more that 5000 backdrops in each frame and yet my level loading routine does not create all needed assets if I set the maximum object count less than 10.000.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volnaiskra View Post
    @Julian82 : any tips for a one-frame setup? My current setup has a single engine frame, but it changes levels by jumping to another frame and jumping back. I've been thinking of moving to a single-frame environment though to cut down on loading times. What's a good way of flushing the memory within the frame?
    For me just deleting the created assets frees memory correctly. Avoiding frame switches was done to tackle some other bugs in my project but did not really improve loading time at all. I don’t load heavy assets though, so this may be very different with Spryke.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK cool, thanks. I'm glad to hear that destroying objects is all you need. My game consumes about 1GB of RAM at runtime, so loading that all up on a frame change does take a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    Don’t know, actually^^ I think it’s not an European thing but more like a habit when you’re not able to grasp huge numbers
    In most Anglo-Saxon countries . is used for decimals while , is used to separate thousands. In most(?) European countries it's the other way around. So, three million dollars and fifteen cents is written like this:

3,000,000.15 (UK/US/AU/NZ/etc.)

3.000.000,15 (EU)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipSwitchX View Post
    I'm amazed that 2.000 means two thousand in some regions (all of europe?)
    Yeah that's it, EU vs. US countries use dot and comma in inverse way
    I work with databases and it's a real pain
    have to convert back and forth and consider the issue very frequently
    (SQL uses server region, application server scripting language uses own regional setting, excel/word uses user system region..)

(edit - ops, sorry for double posting same info with Vol)

(edit2 - what a nice trick "flushing" the app with a blank frame, got to remember this! )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast