User Tag List

Thread: File size increase issue with importing images+click to move gameplay ?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

File size increase issue with importing images+click to move gameplay ?

I know there was another thread similar to this made about a year ago, but I couldn't understand the solution towards it.

I'm trying to test a "click to move" game play for one level in which a player clicks within a zone, and a 3d animation plays to show movement from point A to B (pretty much similar to Fnaf 4).

The problem is the drastic file size increase in the mfa file. (32 images totaling 5 megabytes increase the file size by 50 when importing), and each image resolution is 1320 x 680, which is the same resolution that I made the window size. I remember hearing that this has to do with the power of 2 graphics used, but I'm having trouble trying to understand how to follow this. Is there a way that I can import images without worrying about this major increase? Or a way to change the power of 2 graphics? This is only a small fraction of the amount of images I planned to include, and I'm already anticipating the file size to reach around 1 gigabyte once it's done (or less if possible), and on top of this I would really like to test it on my phone once I am finished, which is why this has me a bit worried. :/

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using power of 2 optimised images does not affect your file size. It's a technique to save RAM on runtime in hardware accelerated modes ( DirectX ).
    With your approach of loading large images to Fusion's editor you'll quickly hit Fusion's limits both in case of reasonable file size and RAM limit on runtime (2GB). As Fusion has no versioning options available handling backups for really big .mfa can become really painful. If you've a cloud service with versioning support (like Dropbox Pro) available though, it can handle this issue for you.

To your actual question: Fusion converts all importet images to .bmp, it does not matter what file type the original image is, that's why your .mfa size increases this way. One thing you can do is remove any alpha cannels from your images, but that probably won't save you on the long run anyway.

I think the way to go would be to pre-bake the animations and store them externally, so your file size won't increase due to the needed assets. Then use one of Fusion's video player objects/ extensions (for .avi, .mp4, .gif) to display the needed animations on runtime. There are different players for external assets available, I've used none of them yet though, so if nobody answers here you might need to start another thread for this.

Here's an older post you might find useful about images and RAM/ power of 2 stuff: https://community.clickteam.com/threads/99079-Does-Image-File-Type-matter-for-Optimization

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see now, that makes much more sense. I will try pre-baking the animations and use the video player extensions once I get back to work on it. Thank you very much for your help!