10 22.73%
  • Average

13 29.55%
  • Poor

18 40.91%
  • Very poor

1 2.27%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Fusion Documentation ?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm reluctant to vote on this because I currently only have access to the Mac version and the help file has been a little bit of a problem on that but my memory was that I could usually find what I was looking for when using the PC version and whilst it may not have been perfect, it gave a pretty good rundown of pretty much everything. Maybe I've misremembered but I'm fairly sure I used to peruse the help file just for fun and learnt a few things I didn't know about by doing so.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I began my multimedia journey with Macromedia Flash, which had famously excellent documentation: every tiny thing rigorously documented, almost always with examples. So I inevitably compare all software documentation to that. Fusion's barebones help file doesn't compare favourably, but it's not bad, and does the job.

What is lousy though is the in-interface documentation: tooltips, descriptions of settings in the properties window, etc. I mean seriously, what's the excuse for this:

For whatever reason, checking that checkbox will disable antialiasing. Let me repeat: checking "antialiasing" will turn antialiasing off. However, this only applies to text (eg. a String Object). In the case of an Active Object, in DirectX mode, this setting actually does nothing at all.

There's absolutely no way anyone would know any of that intuitively, yet - like so many other settings - all we get in way of explanation is "..." This setting lies waiting to trip up almost every user who comes across it, yet it would surely not take someone more than a few minutes to enter a simple description that clarifies the setting for everyone. I'm not expecting a Photoshop-level of service here, where tooltips show tiny videos demonstrating the tool in action. I'm just expecting most settings to be textually described in a sentence or two, and not with "..."

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with Vol on this. I almost always look at the tooltips. The bigger issue I run into is the lack of space to read the longer tips. And seeing how you can't resize the tooltip area vertically, it becomes an annoyance to have to stretch the sidebar horizontally for a moment to read. Having an actual popup tooltip would really go along way to remedy this.

I find the documentation for the exporters (especially mobile) are missing a few of the conditions/actions/expressions in the help file. I know these get changed often as the mobile workflows change, but when an old item is removed and replaced by a completely new one, yet the docs don't update to reflect that, it can be confusing.

Forum Moderator

Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleMac Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voted Great..
    There are tons of videos / tutorials and information in the forums and You tube.
    It seems like the "new" people think that they can make an A+++ game within seconds..
    The built in Tutorials are a great help to get you started and step by step.. But people in general don't bother reading guides anymore.. (This is just a General thing for everything.. not just for Fusion).

Just my 2 cents

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have voted GREAT, because fusion is so easy for most of the part that you dont even need a documentation -> thats the real MAGIC about this software

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    voted POOR.

i voted this coz i just sat back & thought for a second if there was no forum & i had to rely solely on the documentation provided...i'd be a finished!

luckily there is a forum & if we were taking the forum into account, then i'd change my vote to "GREAT" because the help on this forum is beyond awesome!

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volnaiskra View Post

For whatever reason, checking that checkbox will disable antialiasing. Let me repeat: checking "antialiasing" will turn antialiasing off. However, this only applies to text (eg. a String Object). In the case of an Active Object, in DirectX mode, this setting actually does nothing at all.
    I wonder if this is because of your high resolution game? Because when i tried that in my 480x320 game my objects got a weird outline that's supposed to be smoothing (i suppose).

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zip2kx View Post
    I wonder if this is because of your high resolution game? Because when i tried that in my 480x320 game my objects got a weird outline that's supposed to be smoothing (i suppose).
    Perhaps. IIRC Yves has said that it has the opposite behaviour depending on whether you're in DirectX vs Software mode. Are you in software mode? Either way, your comment adds to the case that this is a particularly mysterious setting that really should be explained

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only recently discovered the "Hotspot to all frames" hotkey and I've been using this engine for decades. Why did I have to look it up on a forum?! lol. I think there is massive room for improvement. For starters I'd hope a lot of the time saving functions are more obvious, part of why software is good is due to workflow optimisation, anything that can make the workflow easier to get into makes the user want to use the tool more. Eliminating tedium should be key and you only really get that through good documentation and good implementation, plus a lot of testing.

Some of the on disc examples are documented within reason, hence why I gave them average. There is room for a lot improvement but at least some of the functionality is documented and comes with the product.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 Developer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    as a nice little example that i hav just currently run into,

on ios exporter, in the Play Sample action it gives u a "Play with Audio Player" option box,

this box can either be blank, hav a tick in it, or hav a little black box in it,

where exactly wud i find the documentation on wat is the difference between these settings & wat they even do?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast