Please post any bug you discover with the New Firefly World Editor here!
feel free to suggest any improvements we could make.
Hey @Kisguri @Triadian , first off all big thanks for making this awesome world editor and firefly update, very amazing thanks.
Regarding the world editor i have found a few issues/feature requests i want to report:
- When i maximize the world editor or resize the window the editor gets messed up (look screenshot), but i think having an editor fullscreen would be very important for productive workflow - let us also switch between the four different modes in fullscreen.
- My screen has 1440p on 24" so i use always 125% custom scale on win10 otherwise everything would be to small. But when i use the world editor with windows scale on 125% and press the triangle on perspective view to maximize it, it stays small (look screenshot), on 100% windows scale i dont have this issue, it maximizes normal.
- When the right mouse button is pressed on perspective view to look around the mouse wiggles in the middle of the screen around like crazy - maybe you can set it to invisible while looking around (right-mousekey pressed) in the next update.
- Also in the perspective view would be awesome if you could add move "up and down" to key "Q" and "E" for more convenient movement in the editor.
- A list view with all imported objects on the left side of the editor would be awesome.
- There should be an option to scale objects as whole not only one side.
- Pressing import world on engine does show "coming soon", thats very confusing and took me a while until i found the new load state feature ... it is also nowhere mentioned that you have to set the world file format yourself to .irr?
- I still dont know how to handle textures inside the world editor?
- I made the fps movement tutorial inside fusion and try to load a world but it doesnt work, it crashes fusion. Loading the level on an empty project works.
- When pressing X to close the editor or pressing file - new, there is no confirmation popup - like "unsaved level: do you want to save before continue/exit", it force closes instantly.
- Snap to grid/Snap to object feature would be awesome.
- There is no changelog? (Edit: I found it, its on the fusion blog sorry)
- And the last point is: Please dont ban me for making this post here
But anyway, again big thanks for the world editor, big thanks for firefly - and Merry Christmas to @all!
I haven't tried the new world editor, but you guys should check out the Unreal Editor for inspiration. It is pretty intuitive to use and grasp. I would start with the 1999 editor since Firefly is still pretty early. It can probably provide some great ideas that can be applied to Firefly to make it much more usable in its current state.
Hey @Triadian , thanks for you indeept answer, and yes i understand that the editor is in its first beta release, you have deadlines etc, so lot of features are still not fully implemented and/or on its way to come and you have for sure big plans for future updates.
I forgot a few thinks in my previous post that are also very important:
- On the perspective view there is no way to zoom in/out per mousewheel like in the other views, but this would be very important.
- Also when i switch to perspective mode there is no way to switch back - the triangle left-top only works to enter the mode not exit it - i can only close and reopen the editor to go back.
- The axis arrows (rotate, scale also) are very small, they are only usable when fully zoomed-in on an object, but when i fully zoom on an object how can i move it around in the world - i would have a zoomed-out view for that. The arrows should be always the same size (very big) independent on the zoom level. (look screenshot - even when full zoomed out the object is very small but i can still grab and move it easily)
And i want to mention again its really important to have the editor fullscreen like the old world editor, and be able to switch between the four views also in fullscreen. The world editor window should also not been streched when maximized or get blurry, it should preserve the screen ratio perfect and should fit-outside to the screen size, if thats not possible add black bars on the side.
I wouldn't want to name and specific features because I have no real experience with Firefly.
I believe it would be a good inspirational piece. One issue is that the design/workflow is probably different than firefly. In Unreal Editor you operate inside of a gigantic solid space - think of it like a never-ending block of cheese. You "Subtract" areas from this space to create your levels. In effect, if you subtract a cube from the space you now have a cube shaped room and can apply textures etc. to each individual wall/plane. I believe most 3d world editors utilize the opposite approach in which you operate inside of a giant void and add solids to it.
A few base reasons I like the unreal editor:
- Ability to swap between dynamic lighting, full brightness, wireframe
- VERY good snap-to
- Multiple "panes" that show you a 2d wireframe image of all 3d objects in your world from different angles (side, above, etc.) so you can line objects up PERFECTLY with each other with minimal work
- Extremely intuitive controls that are easy to master in a small amount of time
- Intuitive interface that is easy to learn
It just nails workflow flawlessly.
@ both - ty for your comments - they really ARE helping.
Yes its true on perspective if you click the right mouse you enter W,A,S,D controls and can zoom with W,S, what i mean is when the right mouse is not pressed (no game mode) you have the ability to zoom with the mousewheel in and out.
Also beside of the size of the axis, sometimes i cannot press them, it does not recognize the click or it gets recognized but i can not really move the object (only very slow).