User Tag List

Thread: How hard would it be to add more alterable string/values?

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How hard would it be to add more alterable string/values?

This is more to someone that knows CF's coding, which is most likely either Simon or Yves. How hard would it be to expand limits on alterable strings/values (and by extension, global values/strings)? I understand flags are limited to 32 because they're stored in a 32bit int (most likely), but the limit on alterable strings/values always felt more arbitrary. As for what default names would be past Z, do something that Excel does for columns past Z, i.e. AA, AB, AC, AD and so on.

I know the limit will be gone in fusion 3, but in the mean time, with no F3 release date in sight, limit could be increased if you don't need to re-engineer half of the engine for that (which, if it was coded decently, you don't need to do as it would be most likely an array, though making it save properly to the MFA may be problematic as I've heard the format is a mess).

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Darkhog,

each object (supporting values/strings) can have unlimited alterable values,
    you can set and retrieve the ones past Z (25) by index,
    but there are currently just 10 alterable strings in objects unfortunately
    (+1 would be cool if those could be made unlimited as well)

Global values and Global Strings are unlimited though
    (and they default-name as you suggest - the Excel way)

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that so? Shame then that you have to use the expression to use ones past Z though. I mean, I understand that in-editor list of variables has to end at one point otherwise we'd get an infinite loop and thus a hang, but can't it be made that the last variable displayed is the last one "created" in alterable values/strings list for object? I mean, you already have to hold that list somewhere, so why not display variables in set/subtract/add to dialogues based on that?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a big difference between named and unnamed values though. I can think of some situations where having unlimited unnamed values would be helpful, but mostly unnamed values would just muddy everything up and increase confusion and mental load to your workflow.

I find that the recent addition of named flags has helped though. I used to use many values in a boolean fashion, and now I can just use flags in those situations, which frees up values.