User Tag List

Thread: [Request] VLC Object (fourthword)

Clicker Install Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb [Request] VLC Object (fourthword)

The VLC Media Player has one big advantage over other players, such as Windows Media Player: It comes with all of the common codecs and several uncommon ones built-in. So why not have that power as a Fusion object? If this hypothetical VLC object can be made, you won't need AVI object, MP4 object and so on, as VLC supports all main container formats as well. It is also portable, so (given the dev will make a proper extensions) it could work on all main platforms supported by Fusion. Given all of the above, I'd like VLC object to be made.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I agree that a libVLC object would be useful. Barriers include the fact that it would need regular updates for security and compatibility reasons, potential licensing issues and potential patent issues. Getting the Operating System to render things for you sidesteps a whole range of problems which arise when you are trying to run your own rendering system, and it is probably these sorts of issues that have prevented us from having a VLC object to date. However, as you note this then means you are limited to the codecs supported by the host OS.
    .:::.Joshtek.:::.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be so great! I bet there would still be issues with it, but there definitely is a serious need for crossplatform video object.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator ProPatch Maker
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a cool idea but you really don't need it. About a decade and a half ago I would have asked the same thing but you learn to work around the limitations of MMF.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 MacFusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already have a video processing and displaying object using ffmpeg, so I could produce a video object from it with relative ease. It's currently used for network camera streams.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	24375

Plenty of codecs and options. I'm currently working on hardware-accelerated video.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	24376

I'll probably be selling my object, although I'm not sure if it'll be on ClickStore or not.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty extension.Free or not I am a taker.

Forum Moderator Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds interesting, Phi. My understanding is that FFmpeg is used to at least some extent by VLC, MPC-HC, VLC and many other media players.
    .:::.Joshtek.:::.