User Tag List

Thread: Frame's Alpha-Blending Coefficient weird behavior between mmf2/fusion

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Frame's Alpha-Blending Coefficient weird behavior between mmf2/fusion

Using Multimedia Fusion 2 Dev, I made an application where I would set the frame alpha-blending coefficient to various values and this would give the scrolling of my game a nice "motion blur" effect. I was never really sure why it worked this way but it did and decided to use it.

However, if I open my project up in Fusion 2.5 Dev, this same event works the way I would have assumed it would have worked in the first place - Increasing the alpha-blending coefficient of the frame simply darkens the screen. What's going on here? Why does the same thing in MMF2 provide a drunk/blurry effect? (And is there a way I can replicate this inside Fusion 2.5?)

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not quite sure why this happens, but if you're using Fusion 2.5 Dev, and have Direct3D enabled, there's an option in the Frame Properties called "Direct3D: Don't erase background", and the description says that if checked, it can give a motion blur effect. I'm not sure if it works or not (I haven't tried using it), but it's worth a shot.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleiOS Export Module
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much! I've never seen this option in Fusion 2.5 before, but enabling it makes the application function just like it was doing inside MMF2. So it seems MMF2 has that enabled by default (and no way to change that as far as I can tell). Anyway the motion blur now works for me in both Fusion and MMF2, thanks a lot.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatPixelYouOn View Post
    Thank you so much! I've never seen this option in Fusion 2.5 before, but enabling it makes the application function just like it was doing inside MMF2. So it seems MMF2 has that enabled by default (and no way to change that as far as I can tell). Anyway the motion blur now works for me in both Fusion and MMF2, thanks a lot.
    Damn! This effect works beautifully and looks just awesome. By changing the frame's alpha you can dynamically add motion blur to the whole scene without any shaders, that's rad. I don't understand what is actually happening here too :/ One not so cool thing I noticed is that this comes with a significant performance cost, at least in my project, but only if the frame's alpha is set > 0. I can run my game at about 200 FPS on my dev machine, with this method enabled I get about 160, that's a lot of FPS lost. I hope anyone can explain how this works, would be really interesting Thanks for sharing!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatPixelYouOn View Post

Awesome, glad I was able to help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    Damn! This effect works beautifully and looks just awesome. By changing the frame's alpha you can dynamically add motion blur to the whole scene without any shaders, that's rad. I don't understand what is actually happening here too :/ One not so cool thing I noticed is that this comes with a significant performance cost, at least in my project, but only if the frame's alpha is set > 0. I can run my game at about 200 FPS on my dev machine, with this method enabled I get about 160, that's a lot of FPS lost. I hope anyone can explain how this works, would be really interesting Thanks for sharing!!

I don't think that a drop to from 200 to 160 should be a big issue, as most people don't notice framerates much higher than 60.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re for sure right with that and my game is capped at 60 anyway. I just run those test frequently and whenever I implement something new to get sure those costly things don’t add up and cause trouble later in the process. Debugging can be a real pain then I would say this method is equally cost intensive as a really heavy pixel shader and one should keep this in mind when using it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    You’re for sure right with that and my game is capped at 60 anyway. I just run those test frequently and whenever I implement something new to get sure those costly things don’t add up and cause trouble later in the process. Debugging can be a real pain then I would say this method is equally cost intensive as a really heavy pixel shader and one should keep this in mind when using it.
    That's a pretty good idea. It's worth making sure you're not pushing things too hard early on, as I made that mistake while developing Super Rabbit Reach: A Fluffy Endeavor. I had to optimize the game midway through development, even though it ran fine on newer computers (I wanted to make sure it runs on some older PCs, like from 2010-2011ish).

Had I tried what you did early on, I could've saved myself quite a headache.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not either, thatís why I do now