User Tag List

Thread: Can I safely use all of the text fonts that come with Fusion?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I safely use all of the text fonts that come with Fusion?

I know this may sound like an odd question, but in doing some research, it turns out that not all text fonts/typefaces are necessarily safe to use in commercial endeavors without strings attached.

So my first thought was "Are the fonts/typefaces that I'm using in my game safe to use?" (Since Fusion allows these fonts/typefaces, like System and Terminal, does that make them okay to use?)

If anybody has anything helpful to say, I'd really appreciate it.

Just trying to play it safe.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperiOS Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure no fonts came with Fusion, it's just reading the fonts that are already installed on your PC. If you installed custom fonts they would also appear when you edit a string font settings.

If you want to ensure the font are read correctly you can pick from the "web safe fonts" list. http://web.mit.edu/jmorzins/www/fonts.html#sans-serif

If you use a custom font just make sure you actually bought it if it's a commercial font and you have the rights to use it. If you want to make sure that font is always shown correctly on peoples' computers even if they dont have that font installed you can embed the font.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCqo01raiWE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumo View Post
    I'm pretty sure no fonts came with Fusion, it's just reading the fonts that are already installed on your PC. If you installed custom fonts they would also appear when you edit a string font settings.

If you want to ensure the font are read correctly you can pick from the "web safe fonts" list. http://web.mit.edu/jmorzins/www/fonts.html#sans-serif

If you use a custom font just make sure you actually bought it if it's a commercial font and you have the rights to use it. If you want to make sure that font is always shown correctly on peoples' computers even if they dont have that font installed you can embed the font.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCqo01raiWE

Thank you for sending me the tutorial video, and for clearing a few things up.

I suppose my concern would be outside of Clickteam then. My concern is if I can use all of the fonts pre-installed on Windows in commercial endeavors, without any strings attached.

Again, that's probably beyond the scope of the forums here (although if anybody knows that'd be great). Thank you very much for your answer.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you'd have to check each font's license separately, it's far easier to just use Google fonts, there's a massive selection to choose from and they're all free and licensed for commercial use, just find one you like and embed it into your project. https://developers.google.com/fonts/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a great font that has no strings attached to it [Volter (Goldfish)]. Since most PC's don't have this font, I'll simply make backdrop objects that have the text already typed into it.

Thank you to both Gradius and Sumo for answering.