User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Setting Read/Write Permissions in EXE or Install

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting Read/Write Permissions in EXE or Install

The title I'm working on right now has a serious level editor built in. It's got a bunch of great I/O features, stores everything in the AppData folder, so it's all set up correctly. However, we've run into a problem with basic User accounts on Windows, in that they don't have Write permissions enabled. This causes some major portions of the game to break. Is there a way to set this in the built-in "Build Install Program" function or even in Install Creator? Perhaps with a command line prompt or registry key? I've figured out how to set permissions using Inno Setup, but if this is something I can either build into the game or use with the Clickteam install creators, I'd rather do that.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No writing permissions to AppData is very strange tho, never ran into that. Can you elaborate more on these account types?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Gargoyle I'm quite sure they don't have write permission. Looking at the executable that Fusion builds, there are write permissions for all account types besides basic Users. I also don't know what else was on the tester's computer that might have been screwing with it. I'm thinking the only good solution is to add a popup message at the start of the game that says Write permissions for all users must be enabled in order to run the game.
    @Julian82 I just know they were using Windows 8.1 Enterprise Edition computer, and it wouldn't shock me if they had some extra security features running that stopped the game from even writing to AppData. Which, ya know, as the developer, is my fault.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    AppData is there for all user accounts (without privs). AppData is exclusively for Applications to write to. So the issue has to be a security policy or a running software preventing this.

Get as much info from the user (ie: exact windows version/build - any security software running - check policies) you can then replicate this using a virtual OS and testing yourself.
    Want to learn Clickteam Fusion 2.5?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Danny Trouble is, the user who reported this error was a publisher, who ultimately rejected publishing the game. So chances of them helping me squash this bug are Near Zero. I will check, but I won't hold my breath.

In the meantime what I've done is on the splash screen I'm creating an empty file called "WriteChecker" to the AppData directory, then running a fast loop to check if it exists. If it doesn't, I popup a message that lets the user know the game is having trouble writing files, and they need to check their write permissions, along with the ability to then close the game by pressing any key. I'm going to test this out by disabling all write permissions, and if it pops up, that should probably be sufficient.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's a bit of a shame. Sorry to hear that.

Rest assured, this is not a Fusion problem though. AppData was specifically setup by Microsoft for game and application developers to use as they please. I have used it for the last 8 years from MMF2 to Fusion 2.5 to write installers, I use it for all my games and applications (or clients) and have not had a problem to date, so this must be a specific-case.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh and just for the record, some publishers I have used in the passed (and some clients) like to test your games/apps in a tight sandbox environment, thus causing problems like this. Obviously they don't want their computer wiping out whilst testing your game, which could actually be a virus or contain malicious code.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like it. I'm not blaming Fusion at all. I've been using this engine for a decade and it's never steered me wrong. This is seems like a very specific use-case for some computer that had a security-happy administrator and I just need to find the most user-friendly way around the issue.

And yes, this is also the first time I'm using the AppData folder to write a custom installer from within the game itself (in cases where someone downloads a ZIP of the game instead of the setup file), and I'm using that as the chance to check a User's write permissions. It should work assuming I can get it to write the file in the first place.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Danny Yeah that's what I'm figuring, in which case I just need to get the popup working to have them fix write permissions manually. Serves me right for making a game so focused on user-generated content, lol.

Clickteam Clickteam
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah good shout. I would also liaise with publishers in future and/or clients, let them know to loosen their testing procedures as you will 'need' to write to the appdata folder. It's standard practice. In theory, they should know this, but anybody can hide behind a label these days. Good luck @dsilvers - if you need any further help, just give me a shout!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast