User Tag List

Thread: Help, my game's exe restarts twice before it finally works

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Help, my game's exe restarts twice before it finally works

Well I've never had this happen before. The game I'm working on runs perfectly through the MMF2 program when I choose 'run application' like how it should.
    I compile the thing into an .exe file however and when I go to run it it starts with a thin blue border around the edge and there's no sound. After maybe 10 seconds it exits to desktop, then starts up again and I get the same thing- the same thin blue border / no sound / exit to desktop. Then it starts up automatically again and it runs like it should've have 2 times ago, with no border and full sound.

I've tried to rebuild the exe 4 or 5 times and retry to run the game but the same thing happens each time.

I've used MMF for years and never had this happen before. Has this happened to anybody else and if so is there a fix because this is a big problem.

Thanks

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator Pro
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had this with virus scanners corrupting the boot up while scanning, when the scan is finished the malfunctioning stops. I long scan-delay may cause the app to crash and reboot, resulting in a scan abort and the crap loop starts again. A fist step could be to deactivate them and see how it goes. It may also help to delay data accesses on boot up for a second or two to give scanners some time to do their job before data operations fail due to the scanner hook. The long delay of 10 sec before crash and reboot is very odd tho, no idea about that.

Edit: try to insert a blank frame before your game starts, shift to your game after one sec and see if the behavior persists.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Julian82 View Post
    I’ve had this with virus scanners corrupting the boot up while scanning, when the scan is finished the malfunctioning stops. I long scan-delay may cause the app to crash and reboot, resulting in a scan abort and the crap loop starts again. A fist step could be to deactivate them and see how it goes. It may also help to delay data accesses on boot up for a second or two to give scanners some time to do their job before data operations fail due to the scanner hook. The long delay of 10 sec before crash and reboot is very odd tho, no idea about that.

Edit: try to insert a blank frame before your game starts, shift to your game after one sec and see if the behavior persists.
    YES! This is exactly what it was!

I had installed Avast virus scanner recently and when I messed around with its properties I unchecked the 'scan exe when run' option and the game worked like a charm the first time.

Thanks a lot for the quick replies, guys!
    Holy crap I was getting scared my file was permanently corrupted or something weird.

Clicker Fusion 2.5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle View Post
    You're better off uninstalling the anti-virus scanner altogether, it creates a false sense of security and malware is polymorphic now-a-days so it will have about zero effect unless it's some 2 week old malware strain which is a highly unlikely scenario of which to get infected from. Certain tasks like appending line by line to a file or such can wreck your drive's lifespan as well, with Windows Defender on I can append ~1,000 lines a second to a file (SSD), but with it off I can append ~100,000+ lines a second because it's re-reading the whole file over and over for every line you append to it when Windows Defender is on, etc.
    I'm thinking more of the other players who will be playing it mostly. A lot of them won't want to uninstall their virus scanners and are wary of false-positive readings in my experience.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'll be the sandboxing feature of Avast (it should have indicated what it was doing once you opened your app). Once deemed safe it wont occur again for that EXE. Although if you're constantly building a new EXE this will be why it constantly occurs. Its best to add your development folders to the exceptions. Sandboxing will help against new malware as it will prevent it access to external files on your system (which is why you were getting no sound). Running no antivirus is asking for trouble. Do the right thing and add your dev folder to the exceptions. This will prevent the AV effecting the performance and keep you safe.