User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain what a fastloop actually is?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export Module
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone explain what a fastloop actually is?

I see people all the time talking about a fastloop, but I have no idea what it is or what it accomplishes.

Could somebody that knows explain it?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump, i want know that too

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fastloop basically just runs an event (or a number of events) as many times as you specify before anything is drawn on the screen, they're extremely useful for doing all kinds of things, I use fastloops a lot to create particle effects, or for sub-pixel movement of actives, but there's so many other uses for them too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradius View Post
    A fastloop basically just runs an event (or a number of events) as many times as you specify before anything is drawn on the screen, they're extremely useful for doing all kinds of things, I use fastloops a lot to create particle effects, or for sub-pixel movement of actives, but there's so many other uses for them too.

So how would you program a fastloop?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a read of this http://www.clickteam.com/creation_materials/tutorials/download/The_Clickers_Guide_To_Fastloops.pdf

This tutorial was made for MMF2, but as far as I can tell everything still works in the same way with CF2.5, reading this a while back was how I learnt about fastloops, it sounds a lot more intimidating than it really is, but once you get the hang of it, it will really help you with so many different aspects of making games in Fusion.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Android Export Module

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, from the top of my head...

Let's say you want a particle effect (water/bloodsplash,fire works etc. I uploaded an example in the tutorial section a while ago btw) whenever you want that effect to happen you start a fastloop. For example, add an event "upon pressing space bar" ----> start loop "splash" 2000 times or whatever name and number you want. You will find the loop option under the special conditions in the event editor. Then add another event:
    On loop "splash" ---> create the fire/water/blood actives (They should have some sort of movement attached to them, otherwise you will have 2000 objects stacked on each other) then you have 2000 objects created super fast and don't have to manually create all of them. I use fastloops for save files as well. Instead of adding every single value to an ini myself, a fastloop does that for me

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long story short, you can turn this:
    - Player press Right (5 times) -> Add 1 to X position of Player
    into this:
    - Player press Right (just once) -> Run Fastloop "move right" 5 times.

Both these actions would set the position of the player in the same spot. However, the 2nd condition you would only need to do 1 action instead of 5 actions, while all the pixels would be accounted for during the fast loop.

- Player press Right (just once) -> Add 10 to X position of Player = 9 movement pixels are missing.
    - Player press Right (just once) -> Run Fastloop "move right" 10 times. = All pixels are accounted for.

Clicker Fusion 2.5Fusion 2.5 Mac
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Fusion 2.5+ DLC (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) It runs a set of events a certain amount of times before it's seen on screen.
    2) it skips the order of events and runs the set(loop) of events before continuing with everything else.

Let's say you have a set of events creating sparkles on screen, this loop is called "sparkle effect". You can then put the event Start the loop "sparkle effect" anywhere in your code and it will run your events creating the effect. It sounds more complicated than it is, but read this http://www.clickteam.com/creation_materials/tutorials/download/The_Clickers_Guide_To_Fastloops.pdf and play around and it will be second nature.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone that responded to this thread! It seems like a pretty neat technique.

I'll read through the PDF file and experiment around with fastloops when I have the time. Again, thanks to all that responded.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleMac Export Module
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fast Loops are incredibly powerful but remember: anything you do in a Fast Loop is dependent on the CPU running the current frame, so anything getting in the way of that can potentially interrupt the loop. For instance, let's say you're streaming a game, and you get a frame-skip right as the fast loop is running. There's then potential that Fusion will skip a particular iteration of the loop. This usually isn't a problem, but can be if you're doing any File I/O work on a fast loop (something I'm trying to undo in my current project due to discovering this). Since Fusion is a single-core engine, there's no way to orient the job onto a different core or even thread to prevent this from happening. Just a little something to watch out for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast