User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to create platformer enemies?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How to create platformer enemies?

Hey everyone.

I know I made a post similar to this in the past but this one is different.

I'm looking to create enemies that have gravity and will switch directions once they bump into a wall.

I need to have it so the enemies will walk on objects and change directions upon walking into them.
    Preferably, I'd also like to give them gravity with acceleration (a Grav value with 0.1 always being added).

I followed this guide and managed to make enemies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XktQxCeuluo

The only problem is I can only make the enemies walk and bounce off of either actives (each given the qualifier Obstacles) OR backdrops. One or the other.

I really need to find a way to make this work seamlessly for both colliding with actives AND backdrops, as I want my game to be capable of having animated floors, while having backdrop floor objects to keep things simple (such as having less icons in the event editor or saving CPU usage [I think]).

Any ideas?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well..... I 'WAS' going to show you this tutorial
    http://www.diybandits.com.au/MMF/tut...embedded1.html
    However, the disclaimer on that site says that method no longer works as of the current CTF version. Even though it gives somewhat a decent platformer enemy example.
    Other tutorials I found from google search:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO9Q2tZXWKo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XktQxCeuluo - From almightyzentaco, and this person makes really impressive tutorials too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N64Mario View Post
    Well..... I 'WAS' going to show you this tutorial
    http://www.diybandits.com.au/MMF/tut...embedded1.html
    However, the disclaimer on that site says that method no longer works as of the current CTF version. Even though it gives somewhat a decent platformer enemy example.
    Other tutorials I found from google search:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO9Q2tZXWKo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XktQxCeuluo - From almightyzentaco, and this person makes really impressive tutorials too.
    I got the first tutorial working but once I replace the events to check for the goomba to be to overlapping the obstacle qualifier instead of a backdrop, the goomba's physics break.
    For example, If goomba 1 is in the air and goomba 2 is higher in the air than goomba 1 and goomba 1 has landed on a obstacle qualifier, goomba 2 will stop falling and continue walking horizontally through the air. Works perfectly when using backdrops though.

And also thanks for the links, but the first tutorial is a bit too simple for what I'm looking to do as I plan to create a lot more objects based off of the events I'm looking for to give the goombas physics.
    And as for the second tutorial, I can get it to work but again once I implement events so it does the same for obstacles (not backdrops), the above problem happens once again.

Also for reference, I believe the tutorial still works. They claim it's broken as Clickteam released an update, but to my knowledge it only broke the animations of the goomba's when using the embedded collision detectors method.
    The fix to the animations is to go to the properties (in the bottom left) of the goomba object and go to the 'RunTime Options' tab. At the bottom, check 'Do not reset current frame duration when the animation is modified.'

Thanks for the directions though

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure thing.

There's probably a better way, or multiple ways to make them do what you need them to do. But those are just a few tutorials to do it. I haven't really looked into it myself, but I'm sure it can be done as long as that method works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure thing.

There's probably a better way, or multiple ways to make them do what you need them to do. But those are just a few tutorials to do it. I haven't really looked into it myself, but I'm sure it can be done as long as that method works.
    I tested and the method works generally but whatever I do I just can't seem to make the collisions based off of both backdrops and actives. I can only choose one or else the goomba breaks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe would a fast loop help? Perhaps detect which goomba to use by adding a spread value of each goomba on the field. Then do a fast loop to check which ID is closer to a backdrop? When that goomba hits a backdrop to check for which ID that goomba is, and only turn that goomba around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe would a fast loop help? Perhaps detect which goomba to use by adding a spread value of each goomba on the field. Then do a fast loop to check which ID is closer to a backdrop? When that goomba hits a backdrop to check for which ID that goomba is, and only turn that goomba around.
    Maybe.
    How exactly would I go about that in the event editor? My goomba currently have a value called "ID" and value 0 is spread at the start of frame. The rest I'm not too sure how to do.

Also, for the record my goombas events are basically the exact same as the second tutorial by almightyzentaco.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a simple set up.

- Start of frame -> Spread value 0 in Alt. Value A of [Object]
    - Number of [Object] > 0 -> Start loop "a" NoObjects("Object") times

- On Loop "a"
    ID of [Object] = LoopIndex("a") -> Do something.

Does that make sense?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I just added that into the events

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried looking at other .mfa files for different Mario games and they're just too complex for me to understand even while following comments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast