User Tag List

Thread: Freeze/Crash on loading files if game is in Program Files (x86)

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freeze/Crash on loading files if game is in Program Files (x86)

I just found out about a rather strange problem with my MMF2 game (Soko Banish) - apparently it freezes/crashes on a frame where it tries to load files/folders from its sub-directories, but only if the game was installed somewhere in C:\Program Files (x86)\.

What happens for me (Windows 8.1) is that the game partially loads the folder/file lists and then freezes and stops responding. My fiancé running Windows 10 also gets error pop-ups regarding stdrt.exe and ntdll.dll. I've been able to reproduce this problem 100% and only if the installation folder is somewhere in that specific directory (installing to an identically named directory on a different drive works fine (so the folder name is not the issue), as does installing it elsewhere on the C:\ drive).

Possibly relevant objects I'm using are Ini++, Array, Archive Object, File Object and several List Objects (less likely to be the cause, as the lists load partially before the application stops responding). Does anyone have an idea what may be happening and if it can be fixed?

Thanks in advance!

Clicker Multimedia Fusion 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: This is caused by trying to save files in the game directory with missing folder permissions. By default, my user account seems to lack permissions to create files in Program Files (x86) or any sub-directory despite being an administrator. This seems to be a problem with my system (and other people's) and I am guessing there's no simple work-around as I cannot set folder permissions through MMF2.

I wasn't able to edit my original post anymore, so I'm leaving this here to provide some clarity for people with the same problem.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleInstall Creator ProUnicode Add-on
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Program files is one of the systems protected folders. You shouldn't be saving files there.

System wide data should be in %programdata% and user specific data should be in %appdata%/%localappadata%

You'll need to be an admin to write to programdata but it isn't a system protected folder so is as troublesome as program files.