Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A couple of questions I have in concerning programming

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of questions I have in concerning programming

- So, lets say I want to set up 6 buttons. Jump, Shoot, Slide, Previous Weapon, Next Weapon, and Start button. But the software is limited to 4 buttons. Any way I can have a set of of 6 buttons besides limiting to keyboard inputs? Also, perhaps if the defaults are Z, X, C, A, S, and Enter for the buttons, would there be a way for me to script/program an option for the user/player to change these controls without being limited to the software's built in 4 buttons?

- With the many color FX options, what would be the best way to color swap without accidentally solid 1 coloring a player sprite? When I use color replace, I can't return the sprites default colors back due to a color bug, I need to be able to use color swapping when I export to many types like flash, html, mac, windows, etc. The color shaders pack doesn't seem to work with things like flash.
    Lets say a player sprite has 2 sets of colors. R-0,G-0,B-240, and the other is R-100,G-200,B-240. If I use color replace to turn the 2nd color to R-0,G-0,B-240, it becomes the first color. When I want to only change the first color set, the 2nd color gets changed as well. But this is not an issue on things like the NES?
    Another example, lets say the characters eye color is R-240,G-240,B-240, I change the 2nd color from R-100,G-200,B-240, to R-240,G-240,B-240, but then back to R-100,G-200,B-240, the characters eye color gets set to that color when I don't want it to. Any way around this without using a slightly different color? I always felt that when a 2nd color of the character becomes the first color very annoying. I should be able to apply a palette to a character, and revert back without any color issues.

- Has there been any works, or any way for your app/game to play .NSF music file? Or are we still limited to the .WAV, .OGG, .MP3 formats?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the first question, I was looking around to see if there were any objects that could help. The closest I came was Control X. Unfortunately that object is STILL limited to 4 buttons. Looked for a possible keyboard configuration, I am unsure if the Keyboard object will help me with having 6 buttons.
    Sure, I can set a forced 6 button keyboard inputs that's not directed to the player controls, but I would have no way for the user to configure these controls. That is my issue here.
    For example, If I have the command "Keyboard -> Repeat while 'Right Arrow' is pressed = Set X position Object XPos("Object") + 5". This is forced keyboard input, and thus the user/player can not change this command. I am looking for a way to fix it so this input can be changed by the user, and so I can hopefully get the 6 buttons that would help develop my game.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see that the ControlX extension use expression to determine the key pressed and not the fisical press of a key like the base Keyboard/Mouse extension.
    So I think you can use something like a INI file to store the commands and retrieve the key pressed by comparing with the ini like in

[PlayerControls]
    UP = T
    DOWN = B
    LEFT = F
    RIGHT = H
    BUTTON1 = Q
    BUTTON2 = W
    BUTTON3 = E
    BUTTON4 = A
    BUTTON5 = S
    BUTTON6 = D

And using an event like this

+ ControlX repeat while pressing GroupItemString$( "Controls", "PlayerControls", "LEFT" )
    - your code

Now you can configure the INI file to change the controls, I dont know if this method could have repercussions on the performances of the program.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the point of adding a key config option in game if you can just modify the INI file to change the controls? Unless the user doesn't know about the INI, or it gets ported to something in which the INI can not be modified, or seen.
    Well, I would like to see an example of all 6 buttons being used so I get an idea where you are going with this. Otherwise, I am a bit confused on the setup.

For my second concern, I REALLY hope there is a load palette option, or some color detection option in Fusion 3 that I can do without any slowdowns, as I would like to port to many formats like flash, mac, and others that support it. Cause I feel like the color replace method is the slowest, and the less accurate way to do it. Maybe the color replace option will still be a feature in Fusion 3, but a much better script that handles this without any coloring errors.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I wish this forum allowed for editing messages any time (not just before getting expired), because I hate double posts (ya know, because how most bulletin boards don't allow that, or just merge the two posts as one.)

Anyway, as far as having additional key config, there is also the Key Object, which can do virtual key presses. Maybe it can do some expressions by getting key string, or key value? And all the user would do is to change whatever that string/value is? Though I would love an example of this put together so I have a better understanding whats going on.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess the point of not relying on the user editing an .ini is that no other game really does that, a simple interface to bind custom keys is generally expected/appreciated. This old Custom Keys file is one way to do it.

For palettes.... I think the swap color features of Fusion 2.5 are limited if you're wanting cross platform capability.. I'm not sure there even exists a cross platform way to palette swap. I recently added palette swapping in my project, the attached is more or less how I ended up implementing it.
    Attached files Attached files

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N64Mario View Post
    What is the point of adding a key config option in game if you can just modify the INI file to change the controls? Unless the user doesn't know about the INI, or it gets ported to something in which the INI can not be modified, or seen.
    Well, I would like to see an example of all 6 buttons being used so I get an idea where you are going with this. Otherwise, I am a bit confused on the setup.
    Many programs and games have ini file visible by the client and alterable from inside and outside the program.
    But if you prefere to hide the ini to the client side you can embed it as a Binary Data.

In this example I used the key configuration I posted before to move the sqare and changing its colour by using the 6 Buttons configuration and using the INI file as a Binary Data

ButtonsExample.zip

This contains the mfa and the builded version, note that to use correctly the mfa version you need to change the path name of Binary Data and INI file according to your computer path name, at the start of frame and at the end of the events list to release the Binary Data

BinaryDataIni.jpg

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many have said, having multiple ways to change the key config is not a bad thing. One big advantage is that if something goes wonky with the keys you chose, then you have a way to manually edit the mistake outside your application.

I am a bit confused about your original question, though. Why do you keep saying there is a 4 button limit? Are you using the built-in player 1 features of Fusion2.5? If so, stop. Custom code it. You should also get into the habit of making your inputs turn on Flags or set Vars when input is detected. Then tie your Flags/Vars to the code that actually does things. For example, make it so you have code that turns a flag ON when you press a button and turns the Flag OFF when you release a button. Then run your code when the Flag is ON. This separates the inputs from the actions and makes it much easier to change your inputs without having to write a ton of redundant code. If you want to use a gamepad with your game, then you will most likely need to use the Joystick2 object and the Control X object.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
    For palettes.... I think the swap color features of Fusion 2.5 are limited if you're wanting cross platform capability.. I'm not sure there even exists a cross platform way to palette swap. I recently added palette swapping in my project, the attached is more or less how I ended up implementing it.
    The problem with your palette engine is, if you have one palette that inverts the order of your current set colors, you get really odd results for the other colors.

For the controls, yea, they are based on the Player Controls you can set in the default menu, which is why the limitation of the 4 buttons. I am aware I can set keys with keyboard inputs in general, but it's significantly harder to create a set up for the user to be able to change those keys.

BTW, I tested that ButtonsExample.zip. The buttons do not work. I pressed every keyboard key during play, and nothing happened.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to set the keys first in the first frame.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast