User Tag List

Thread: Creating a "Drop Shadow" effect, but without shaders using only 1 object possible?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperSWF Export Module
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating a "Drop Shadow" effect, but without shaders using only 1 object possible?

I am trying to make a drop shadow effect using 1 single object in editor, is this possible?

The drop shadow will display the same animation frames as the player. It's essentially the exact same as Object 1, with the only difference being it will be colored solid black, transparent, and always positioned X+5, and Y+5 from the root object. Kind of like the drop shadows in Super Mario Maker for the 2D themed levels.

I was thinking of it like this. There's one object named 'Active' in frame editor. In the script, I set ID Value 'A' to 1, then pressing space bar or enter will create another object "Active", but this value 'A' will be 0. I thought using fast loops to check the ID's would help with this, but I'm still having trouble. Even doing just "Id of 'Active' = 0 -> Set X position to X('active') + 2 will constantly move its x position, instead of positioning to the Active that has the ID value 'A' of 1.
    The reason I am trying it this way is so I don't have to create a separate Active 2 in frame editor, just for the shadows, since the shadows will take shape of 'active' anyway..

I am trying to do this without the use of any shaders if possible. Any thoughts on this?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperFusion 2.5+ DLCAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleSWF Export ModuleXNA Export ModuleUnicode Add-on
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can use a separate active (which I would recommend) or bake a shadow with alpha channel into your original active (which I don't recommend). You should look into storing the fixed value of the parent (Active) in a var of the child (shadow). Then code something like this:

+var(shadow) = Fixed Value (active)
    --Set position of shadow to (0,0) of (active)
    -- Move (shadow) behind (active)

If you have more than one of these drop shadow relationships at the same time, do this set position code in a ForEach loop.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I can't figure out how to do it with single objects. I think I'm just going to have to clone the original object, and manually draw/fill the sprites with one solid color in paint editor for the effect, unfortunately. It's a lot more tedious than necessary, but whatever.

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you're careful with how you handle it.. you can just create a duplicate of your main player sprite at the start of the frame, set it's rgb to 0 and have that shadow sprite as well as the main sprite follow a "base" detector for your movement.
    Attached files Attached files

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea this is basically what i wanted, except for one small minor detail. If I set the display mode to Standard from Direct3D9, the shadow of the player is no longer black. Let me guess, this is where the RGB Coefficient relies on that display to use? Why isn't there an effect that can do this in standard display?

Otherwise, thanks for that example. I'll keep this in mind.

Clicker Android Export Module

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 2018 why would you ever wanna use Standard display mode?

Clicker Fusion 2.5 DeveloperAndroid Export ModuleHTML5 Export ModuleiOS Export ModuleUniversal Windows Platform Export ModuleSWF Export Module
    Fusion 2.5 (Steam)Fusion 2.5 Developer (Steam)Android Export Module (Steam)HTML5 Export Module (Steam)iOS Export Module (Steam)Universal Windows Platform Export Module (Steam)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm yeah forgot about that >_< yeah it might not be possible to even do such a simple effect in the standard mode.. but I suppose, if you're doing layers etc. for the sprite, one extra layer/active for a shadow won't hurt too much.